I need some help with the ldt 3.0 hk416

You can’t really, not on those old LDT boxes, it’s just a lot of finicking and swearing :sweat_smile:

I really can’t thank you enough for all your help, sir. I wish you have a good day and good fortune to you and your family.

1 Like

Get the piston fully forward in the cylinder before installing spring. Have the sector gear staged in the spot where there is no teeth but when you power up and fire it will engage the teeth.

2 Likes

Can you show an example of the place of the sector gear? It’s my only big concern regarding setting the aoe for my gear box.
Thank you

Red line is your sector gear. Get that rotated so the spot missing teeth are up top, bit more than what it is pictured.

Green is your piston, have that all way forward inside blue cylinder. Put box halves together and install spring and spring retainer. With your comment spring pushes gears out of place it sounds to me you have not got the piston fully forward bottomed out and sector gear can engage as you push spring in as you are moving the piston upon spring installation.

If you are looking at adjusting AOE you are modifying the timing of sector gear engagement, meaning spacing piston head as Dchapo mentioned or grinding teeth off the ladder or sector gear. Only required on high speed builds that have pre engagement issues.

Checking AOE can be easily shown and explained here…….

You don’t require using the spring at all, as long as you hold pressure on the back of the piston when checking everything out :+1:

2 Likes

AOE is angle of engagement not area. I thought Gas was just trying to reassemble. Hard to decipher from questions asked and photos posted.

1 Like

I think it was a two part issue of not knowing how to get AOE and then getting the box back together cause LDT are sadists.

1 Like

My apology for messing up the definition. But I still can’t reassemble the gearbox with the spring keeps pushing the gear and piston out of place.
I tried the method of pushing the piston all the way in and stage the sector gear. It works wonder in putting the gearbox back together, but it seems the staged sector gear is not righr. So what is the right position for the sector gear?
Thank you all for answering my question, it truly helps me to understand how all these things work.

1 Like

I’m just as confused as you mate! :joy:
I think the point that I’m falling to realise is that this must be one of those arsehole designed gearboxes which don’t have a removable spring retainer, meaning that the two halves of the gearbox have to be assembled together with the spring fitted in place……. so your comments are bang on about how to set it up correctly for ease of assembly :+1:

I read that question as though he was wanting to know how to correct AOE! :roll_eyes::joy:

It’s ok we’ll work it out eventually.

I should know as it’s a LDT Warinterest V2 gearbox that I threw in the bin a few years ago. Mine was worn out. Right pain to service.

Rather than trying to explain in txt. This might help

HowTo: Tips on assembling the War Interest LDT V2 Gearbox - YouTube

Use a bit of kentucky windage and a prayer to the gel gods before you begin. Works everytime :laughing:

The old no qd spring retainer box is a bit of a bitch, especially when moving to a larger spring!
Only tip I can give is to. Shove a screw driver inside the retainer, push the spring into place with it slightly aiming down, that will help the cylinder section stay put and free up a couple fingers to help guide the top half down.
The same technique is helpful when opening the box, as it can prevent it exploding everywhere.
Prick of a design for serviceability.

1 Like

As @DChapo said, the AOE is set by the position of the piston rack in relation to the first tooth on the sector gear.
1st pic is the stock LDT piston (pushed all the way forward in the cylinder), next is another stock piston with a 2mm nylon washer in between the piston body and head.

You can see how the rear of the piston now sits slightly further back, meaning the sector gear will travel a little further before contacting the rack.

The 2 pistons, showing the difference

Once you have the AOE where you want it, the gears don’t have to be sitting in that exact position when you close the box.

As @Maiphut said,

Here is an example. You can see the smooth part of the sector gear faces upward. And as @RokSolid said, find something that will fit in the back of the spring retainer (this is just a hex key), and then you can hold the spring straight with one hand, and put the top of the box on with the other.

The box in the pics is a version 3 (with the quick spring change ability). If you want it, you can have it. I don’t use it anymore, dug it out to (hopefully) show you what we are talking about.

You described it so well, sir. Thank you.
Now I know that I can just set the AoE and not worrying about exact location of the gears before closing the gearbox anymore.
Truly, thank you.

2 Likes

The other handy trick is to use the allen key to hold the spring retainer and spring inline when trying to reassemble :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, I couldn’t show that as mine ended up as bonfire material few years ago. Legend :+1:

1 Like

Thanks to all those helping out… this was frustrating as I have a bitsa blaster I am working on getting together at home that has a ldt gearbox at the stage where I just need to clean and grease then assemble… And I am not in the country til next week.

3 Likes