Looking to get back into the sport, where to start?

Wow, helical gears in a blaster :exploding_head:

According to the principles of mechanics, they should be quiter, stronger and last longer than straight cut gears. Although they do transfer the direction of the load when the gear’s working along the axis of the gear in the direction of the helix… so standard gearbox bearings probably wouldn’t last long and bushes would flog out pretty fast. Usually thrust bearings are used with helical gears, like a car gearbox… not straight ball or roller for that reason.

Didn’t know helicals were available, but they’re a whole other level of refinement. Following this with a fair bit of interest. :thinking:

1 Like

SHS make a 100:200 and I think a 100:300, whatever that’s comparable to straight cut.

There were some more generic ones on Ali too.

Golden eagles just don’t work

I never did either, a stock wells aeg or Lehui Aug fires 2000+ rounds per minute on 2 s. 3s yea it may work and feed like mine but way far from the realistic 600-700 rpm. Wonder why they have problems trying to feed a thousand shitballs in under 30 seconds. It’s crazy.

1 Like

Yeah, my thoughts exactly regarding helical cut gears.
They have been around for some time now, but simply don’t make sense to add a 3rd dimension of forces upon a gear sets/gearbox shells.

I get it that they would run smoother and quieter than bevel/straight cut gears, but would also be trying to fight to prize themselves apart at the same time :flushed:

Like my mate who’s dead used to say flying around here, straight cut gears straight out of Illinois. Fkn funny as. Ok I’ll go back in my coffin and have a moment… 32 too young…

That alone says they’re not worth the expense.

I can see a lot of big spring gearboxes with the sides blown out of them on the horizon.

1 Like

Running a fast motor in my Gen 8 modded A1’s with 11.1V. Just makes it quicker for 4 round burst and increases chance of actually getting one gelball on target