BME's Barry Burton Clone - Comp Modification

Time for a minor collaboration on @BME 's Barry Burton clone. :sunglasses:

As good as the Hitman compensator looks standard, BME wants side vents to make it look even cooler. Normally milling a few slots into aluminium would be very simple, but with no Bridgeport available, it’s a by hand operation. Ah well, no guts no glory, as they say. :wink:

I measure everything up to work out where these slots can go without interfering with recoil guide rod bores, barrel bores, etc. then sketch out a rough 2D representation of what it is.

The rectangle around the text provides a handy frame to work within to locate the three vents in a visually pleasing position.

I mark out the location of pilot holes. This is hand filIng, so the more I can drill, the less I have to file. A little masking tape lets me draw hole locations then I mark through the tape with a centre punch to locate where I drill with a 3.0mm drill bit.

Off to the drill press to pilot drill with a 3mm drill bit. The top hole of the first slot was into a void left by the top vents so no full pilot hole for that one. Drill bits will always pick the path of least resistance, and would have run off on an angle, so that slot will have to fully filed from the bottom hole up.

Into the bench vice for filing. I use a 4mm chainsaw file to file out the slots using the reference line around the text to keep everything square, vertical and even. Slow and steady’s the go here, you can’t put back what you take off. It also pays to file from both sides alternately just in case there’s a bias in your filing technique.

All filed out with a light coating of black, ready for stamped letter filling and pic rail attachment. The front slot is shorter because it ran into the top slot, the void made filing a nightmare. Ah well…

Trial fit onto BME’s Taurus and everything’s looking good so far.

Tomorrow I wet set the pic rail to the bottom of the compensator, finish filling the lettering and any gaps around the pic rail before final paint. :+1:

4 Likes

Wait, what…!!

That’s the first ive heard , of all this…!!

I thought i heard noises downstairs last night, and then my hitman was missing…!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding, looks excellent.
I might have to invest in a press drill one day, but i dont have the bench space in my garage…

Looks really good, cant wait to see it painted and railed…

Haha I had an inkling you two were up to something.

Well done, looks awesome. Even the void the drill run off too made me laugh.

Can we demill the madeinchina bit and MADE AUSTRALIA GREAT AGAIN :laughing:

1 Like

I know the vents aren’t even aligned with the barrel…

But, Dang… it looks good…!!

2 Likes

Yeah, the slots not being aligned with the barrel’s a bummer, but you have to work with what you’ve got. :man_shrugging:

Let’s call them weight reduction slots, shall we? :laughing:

@Maiphut “Made In China” is gone… I DO have metal stamp sets, I can put anything on this… :wink:

2 Likes

" Since i’ve been on the jenny craig moderator reduction diet, i’ve lost 9mm from my skull, lungs, and heart…!!"

:rofl: :rofl:

maybe " DEADSQUID DESTROYER"…

“I used to smoke ten packets of cigarettes a day… ever since I lost one of my lungs, I’ve cut my smoking in half”.

~ R. Zimmerman (Cheech & Chong)

1 Like

I have to try this 9MM diet, sounds allright :laughing:

1 Like

Writing begone… :wink:

Looks much better clean. :+1:

Next project??

Silver receiver / silver barrel / black slide.!!

Might have to try that…!!

3 Likes

I’ve got an old alloy Osprey suppressor from a Vector sitting around doing nothing… yours if you want it. :wink:

Anything to further creativity. :joy:

All finished… pic rail on and final paint. :sunglasses:

Slight departure from the original mounting method for the rail but worth the significant extra work to acheive a much better looking result. The shadowing from the camera flash makes the slots look like they’re a bit dodgy, trust me they’re straight. :joy:

Overall, I think it looks pretty good. :+1: It’ll be back in BME’s hot little hands tomorrow. :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome work…
Can’t wait to get it.!!

You might have orders rolling in…!:rofl:

1 Like

OH yea! Now that makes me smile :+1:

Hot damn you did it. All of it. I love it. Well done sir :saluting_face: