Classic Army AAP-01

So I thought I’d start a thread for the Aap01.
They’re a great bit of gear; as yet I’ve not taken it to a game as ive been too busy to actually play for a couple months now.
20221019_210307

Upgrade wise I have added Waldos Customs recoil spring and short stroke buffs, and nozzle spring; as well as a 5KU magwell, a Classic Army adjustable trigger, outer barrel adaptor with silencer-hight iron sight, custom can, and a 7.3 stainless inner barrel and hopup. It’s nice and snappy with a pretty short action with no slide to move, although the stock metal “bolt”/bbu is i touch heavy, so I reckon next upgrade will be a lighter weight bolt.
Using bunnings mapp gas, shoots around the 300fps mark and is good for around 30+ metres, and good grouping (for the most part) out to around 15-20m.
It has full auto as well, which is unreal (think gas mp5k or mac11) but goes through the mag in a blink, and does nothing at all for accuracy, so it probly won’t get used much.

Pretty happy with it, so looking forward to getting it onto a field…hopefully this weekend.

I was a fan of the old Stallone/Banderas flick Assasins, so the Ruger .22s they use in that i always thought looked cool af. I made my Aap look a bit like the movie guns…

Just for context, here’s the movie pistol:
350px-AssassinsRuger.22

Here’s what mine looks like now:

20221019_210358

I’ll try to get a few more pics and maybe some video of it cycling on here in the next couple days, when I hopefully will also have a custom holster for it also…

10 Likes

Now that looks awesome :ok_hand:
Getting tempted to buy one now :grimacing:

2 Likes

They are pretty good. This will be my main game sidearm, at least until the next one lol

2 Likes

Great write up and pics :+1:
Great information for anyone looking to buy/upgrade :sunglasses:

3 Likes

5 Likes

You’re yanking my chain here, right?

Because if Bunnings ARE selling these, that is insanely cool.

Edit: Okay you got me lol. I just saw the total.

1 Like

I posed it with a Bunnings receipt just to prove it is in Australia not downloading a picture from overseas

2 Likes

is the recipt edited? howd you get it to say that lmao

1 Like

yes, edited. IT doesn’t really matter it edited or not. The matter is I got a AAP-01 converted into something cool

1 Like

you can do the same, just think outside the box

1 Like

You see a drill , now you see a AAP-01 nail gun

5 Likes

Today I tried both versions of the AAP-01, the Ruger version without the manual safety and the regular version with a manual safety.

There seems to be a big difference in reliability of the two.

The Ruger version has a black 7mm barrel and will confetti gels unless you specifically grow them smaller than 7mm.

The regular version has a blue inner barrel which seems larger internally (didn’t have vernier with me) but fed a lot more reliably with standard gel balls.

Both pistols also had an occasional issue where the slide wouldn’t open all the way and you need to rack it to continue firing and to load a gel. This I believe could be fixed with an upgraded recoil spring (plus nozzle spring).

Has anyone else tried both that could comment on this, and can anyone with the blue barrel manual safety version please put a pair of verniers to their inner barrel? Thanks.

2 Likes

Growing gels less than 7.0 is enough to put most people off purchasing such a model :confused:
Even 7.3 is on the borderline of having simple fun compared to massive headaches growing the right sized gels.

Hopefully manufacturers that are crossing designs between Airsoft and Gelblasters can take note that 7.3-7.5 is the safest field to be designing products :thinking:

2 Likes

Carbine Build

3 Likes

As we didn’t have a vernier we just tried dropping gel balls into the barrel. The black barrelled Ruger version was a very tight fit, had to push them hard into the barrel. The blue barrelled manual safety version the gels just gravity dropped straight into the barrel.

Hopefully someone can clarify the inner diameter of the blue one for us? But I’d guess 7.2-7.3

1 Like

Thanks to Doug at Safari Zoomer Tactical for sending me this photo. Explains why it doesn’t mince gels like the 7mm Ruger version.

2 Likes

So ideally would require 7.1-7.2 gels for the best performance/accuracy.

2 Likes