Educational resources for the newbie wanting to learn

So i had my first scare :sweat_smile: I was shooting some soda cans with my new tracer/flash unit. Was using cheap gelballs (only ones readily available around here) and got carried away on full auto. Some exploded in the barrel and jammed. And being the newbie I am I pushed down the stuffed gel balls down the barrel and the gun just seized. Turns out I pushed debris into the piston, clogged it, the pressure broke the cylynder head screw which traveled down the gearbox and jammed the gears. Thankfully it was an easy fix and one replacement screw and some clean-up later I was back in business. And on the bright side this gave me the confidence to open up the gear box and play with it :grin: (I’m into RC. Cars and starting Helis. Electric and nitro so I’m not one to shy away from getting hands on with a screwdriver but blasters are new to me.

Anyway my question: Is there a website or blog or youtube channel that can educate me on technicalities? Things like gear ratios, springs, porting, barrel length etc? I’ve seen many entry level basic videos which were very useful to get me started but now I want to go a step up. I’d like to go 3s power but I don’t want to go in blind.

2 Likes

Highly recommend Low Guido’s Chop Shop on Youtube.

Chances are he’s got a teardown, mod and reassembly video of the blaster you may have… if not, the principles translate across most AEGs, GBBs and GBBRs. Easy to understand and a lot of it step by step. Quite a few just on the technical theory behind the hobby too.

Many a newbie’s bacon’s been saved by that boyo… :+1:

4 Likes

As @Friendly_Fire states, Low Guido is probably the first stop videos for me people getting into gel blasters.

The gearbox principles are the same as Airsoft, so plenty to look into there though there are some things that are different, that’s is mostly just nozzle and tappet plates inside the gearbox. But for the most part the gears, motor and compression section are the same.

You can always put pictures on here and make a thread if you are stuck, definitely someone will know or be able to get you on the right track.

2 Likes

LowGuido is excellent for technical stuff, and Bradley Phillips is great for testing the power, accuracy and build quality of pretty much everything Gelbaster and Nerf related :ok_hand:

There’s plenty of technical stuff available online from hundreds of professional Airsoft builders/modifiers that also relates to much of the Gelbaster hobby as well :+1:

4 Likes

Dive off the plank and straight in as I did. Unfortunately some of the knowledgeable old guard self imploded and no longer exist.

Besides Low Guido no there is not a reliable anything, Discord is a bunch of fwits keyboard bashing so skip that.

That will happen with a blocked barrel. Try the search function top right, if that fails be specific and someone be along to help for sure :+1:

Welcome aboard :+1:

2 Likes