Fluke's builds

Hi everyone.

I just made this topic so that I can basically ask all my questions in one place.

So I have a TG Arp9 V2

I already ordered an SHS M100 spring and metal gears

I figured out that since I’m going to open this gearbox I might as well mod some more. I would like more power and speed but quite franckly, i’m also happy with just modding stuff and say my blaster is unique :grin:

So thinking of changing pistons and stuff and need help selecting the air nozzle. this for this one i’m completely lost. I’ve found these on ali but i’m not even sure if they would work in a gel blaster. Should i just use the stock one?

Have yet to see the TG blasters in Australia so my insight to internals will be a bit limited sorry.

After watching these videos, it looks like those nozzles would not work, even if you used the stock nozzle rubber glued on the end it appears to be closer to a gen8 style nozzle, which are wider in diameter, usually when this is the case the tappet plate is also wider, as is the cylinder head tube.
I can’t say a gen8 nozzle would work, as the length, and even the diameter of where it connects to the tappet plate may be different, but I would chance that ahead of the airsoft nozzles.
It looks like a 460 motor, which is also very gen8 style. I generally wouldn’t chance any spring above an m100 in a nylon box.

Definitely worth also doing metal anti reverse latch and a piston with a steel ladder. I can’t recommend a particular piston for it having not seen one, just make sure it slides freely in the gearbox when screwed together. Gel blaster specs are all over, and some gearboxes are a bit tight on some pistons. Easily fixed with some careful filing of the piston runners. Any piston head with a good single o-ring, flat front surface and thrust bearing will do fine.

It looks like there is a metal gearbox version, might be just as easy to drop that in? But it is always fun to satisfy curiosity to see how far the nylon boxes go.

Happy modding, and feel free to ask any questions as you go.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and actually going through those videos

It is indeed a jinming gen8 gearbox

The reason why I’m looking at changing the piston is actually to be able to use a more robust ladder but those require an aftermarket piston head which I assumed also required the whole nozzle assembly…

So just to confirm; can I basically get an aftermarket piston with a flat piston head and use the stock cylinder and nozzle assembly? (I mean, assuming it fits of course)

also i’ve seen pistons with varying number of teeth. I assume that as long as the “half gear” that pulls the piston (still learning the terminology) is less than the piston the number of teeth isn’t important, am i on the right track?

You can use the stock cylinder head with aftermarket piston and piston head. Providing the teeth mesh correctly that will work fine.

First I will try to explain the sector gear and piston

A sector gear has 16 teeth. For some reason, common terminology with pistons does not count the pickup tooth as a tooth, when it is actually, the first tooth. So a 15 tooth rack is a “full” rack. The 15 tooth pistons, there is the pickup tooth, then all the teeth. 16 teeth.

14.5 tooth piston, will have the first tooth after the pickup ground half way, and a 14 tooth will have it missing entirely.

I have seen 13 teeth, these are usually short the first and last tooth, only useful if you also remove a tooth from the sector gear (half gear as you described). This is called short stroking. Sometimes, you will come across a gearbox and piston combination that will have the piston hit the rear and still be on the last tooth, and won’t release the piston and jam. Removing a tooth from the sector gear will allow it to release and function. It doesn’t happen often.
tbh, I haven’t removed teeth from a piston even if short stroking the sector in a few years, because you don’t need to, nothing will contact, just get nice 14t pistons and leave them alone.

To make things easy. Use a 14 tooth piston. They rarely fail, and work for most setups, and allow the sector gear to mesh with the pickup tooth easily. This will allow for the sector gear to pass the teeth and “pickup” the piston from the pickup tooth. Makes sense right. Even with a cylinder head that has double o-rings and a bigger pad on it that pushes the angle of engagement back, it generally will still pickup the piston right.

2 Likes

@RokSolid I was three quarters into typing a long reply along similar lines when you posted that. :rofl:

Worth mentioning too… mixing nylon and metal geared components is a shortcut to shred city. Either all metal or all nylon, never bits of both. I’m assuming your Gen 8 is metal geared?

A bit of attention to improving just the air sealing will see a big gain in FPS… add a piston spring upgrade and high 200s -300 plus is very acheivable. Just don’t go overboard with the spring if you’re running nylon… shred city shortcut again. :wink:

Have fun with it… plenty of help for you in here if you need it. Gen 8s might be old tech but they’re good to cut your teeth on modding wise. :+1:

1 Like

Wow thank you for the detailed answers.

I’m also ordering shims

one more gen8 question: any idea on bearing sizes?

1 Like

6mm I believe?

If you’re looking at swapping gears and shimming, this should come in handy…

Old but still relevant. :+1:

I usually steer clear of caged ball bearings… sound good in theory but they have a nasty habit of rusting and seizing, or worse, exploding, usually resulting in bits of bearing cage through your gearbox. Although some like to use solids on the sector and crown gear and ball type on the bevel gear as it’s the fastest soinning gear.

I think well lubed solid bushes are safer… sure they might wear with heavy use, but it’s a lot cheaper and easier to change bushes in your gearbox shell when they do than replace your bearings and entire gearset.

1 Like

Lol i’ve been watching that exact video :wink:

Well noted on the bushings

I have some gear grease and silicone oil from my rc car days. good thing i’m a hoarder :grin:

I don’t think this blaster will ever see heavy use with the current state of things in my country. this is more of a “doing it because I can” kind of project and mostly for self satisfaction

ok so in the mail right now are:

m100 spring
metal gear set incl metal anti reverse latch
plastic piston with 14 teeth metal ladder
alloy flat single o-ring piston head
11.1 high torque motor (arp9 specific)
3s lipo battery

now the (at least) 2 week wait for delivery :roll_eyes:

Hmmm yeah just looking at the Firearms legislation where you are…

The exemption for spring projectile toys should see you right for AEGs… the paragraph above it could be problematic if they lump gas blasters into that category. :man_shrugging:

In the meantime, go nuts! :laughing:

I’d highly recommend an upgrade nozzle too… you won’t regret it. :+1:

Kick back and wait for the mailman… good times! :sunglasses:

@Friendly_Fire my friend you have no idea how convulated this is…

You are looking at the fire arms act of 1940. this have been updated in 2007. according to that act the aeg is considered an air-gun because the spring compresses air and that shoots the projectile.

HOWEVER: airgun by definition in this act are guns using compressed air to shoot a projectile of caliber 5.6mm or less. so theoretically this doesn’t concern gel blasters.

BUT: There’s also the Mauritius Standards Bureau that have laws concerning toys. and basically, no toys that shoot projectiles are allowed. Inlcuding nerf guns. But here’s the funny part. Replicas are not considered toys

So in the end, gel blasters in Mauritius are in a legal limbo.

We sometime manage to get nerfs through customs but they will confiscate the bullets. even the gel blaster sold here are officially for decoration and do not include bullets… which you can buy just over the counter :expressionless:

I got in contact with a chinese shop that is willing to send me gelblaster specific parts but i’m hesitant because he’s basically a guy and i won’t have any garantee nor security on the transaction

That’s not desirable… :thinking:

I guess we’re lucky here in Queensland… we can just drive to the nearest blaster retailer and pretty much buy upgrade parts over the counter… 90% of the time anyway. :man_shrugging:

my M100 spring and gears came. I’ll wait for the rest of the component to come to open up the gear box but since a spring swap is one stock removal away i just did that. and since i’m replacing the internals in a weeks’ time i don’t really care about the stock plastic gears.

Not gonna lie, first time I pulled that trigger, I giggled and stomped my feet a little :grin:

With those nylon gears you’ll be counting down the hours until they go into Chernobyl meltdown with that spring :rofl:

If you think it sounds good now wait until you get the metal gears into it… it’ll sound better again. :+1: