Handguard Help

The M16A2 handguard I ordered from Sixmm in HK arrived today.

I’m more than a little confused about a couple of things, the first being the end cap.

Those lugs are not circular and none of the spare M4/M16 caps I have fit. I think I’ve seen triangular A1 caps on these A2s before but not sure, and no info or options on the Sixmm website. :man_shrugging:

Second issue is how this fits on a standard delta ring with a back end like this :

Maybe it’s a proprietry design for a particular receiver and I can make it fit a normal delta ring with a bit of creative dremelling and fettling, but I just thought I’d ask in case someone here has an M16A2 or A3 who can shed a little light. :+1:

You’re exactly right it’s a triangle piece that mounts to the front sight
The rear is simply held with pressure by the delta ring

How the delta ring fits:

Awesome, thanks heaps for that info. :+1:

Looks like I’m ordering a triangular cap :wink:

Got the delta ring end sorted with a little bit of judicious Dremel work, no problem. It’s not the same profile as your pic and doesn’t have molded lugs to stop rotation, but the XM177 handguard from Sixmm was the same and I got around that okay. :+1:

Woah wait up I had that trouble. Hang on standby gotta check my bits. Triangle for the A1 and there is a circular front cap for the A2. I’m sure of it gotta check some stuff.

Here you go @Friendly_Fire Front Handguard Cap - 5 Styles - Retro Rifles

Explains it all. Hope that helps.

Ah cheers, @Maiphut… thanks for that. :+1:

It definitely needs an A1 triangle cap… here’s the handguard trial fitted to my m16A1.

The exposed bushes you can see under the A pillar sight are hidden with the A1 handguard on, I fitted them so I can run a pencil barrel.

The A1 & A2 handguards are supposed to be interchangeable but the A2s are about 1mm shorter. I was planning to run the A2s on an M4 receiver to build up an M16A3 flat top, but I think Iike them better on the A1 receiver.

Means I’d have to change out the grip, the forward assist button and fit another A pillar that hasn’t had the bayonet lug removed XM177 style to make it correct but that’s no biggie… hmmmm, decisions decisions. :thinking:

So many rolling changes on the AR platform as it progressed through the years it get’s tricky what to aim for and then get the right bits to match up.

I got lost often in what’s available for us then trying to make something that resembles an actual model. Lot’s of research. I didn’t know for eg the A2 came with both triangle end cap and round. But makes sense I guess as they transitioned from the A1 to the A2 easier to do in the field less parts supply etc.

The A2 came with a brass deflector on the receiver too… there are a few too many differences to use an A1 receiver on an A2 build, so the A1 is staying Vietnam era correct.

I was thinking about picking up a cheap M4 to swap parts over on, then I saw this at Tac Edge…

Lucky the A2 hanguard only cost $13 plus shipping.

1 Like

Even that’s not like an A2 as it has a flat top detach carry handle which is more in the A3 A4 type.

M16 - A1 /A2 /A3 /A4 - Modern Firearms

Now I’m confusing myself :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, you’re right… it’s an A3 for sure. Flat top, shell deflector, round handguard, fixed stock. Pretty much what I want to build.

A4s were the same but with a front quad rail instead of the polymer handguard.

A2s were basically A1s but the forward assist button changed from teardrop to round and they were the first to get a shell deflector.

Oh and here’s the A4…

Pretty much all done and a good enough result for a spare M4 receiver which was sitting around doing nothing… M16A3, it’s a long bugger. :thinking:

Still to sort out a gas tube and flash hider for it, but seeing as how it was a spare parts throw together and one I don’t have in the collection, I’m happy enough. :+1:

2 Likes

Turned out nice, like it :+1:

I read somewhere the M16A3 saw limited service with US Navy as Marines went to the M16A4 and US army went to the M4 and then M4A1. Something like that.

you’re now a gel blaster gunsmith :smiley:

@exakel Do I need a licence for that? :rofl:

@Maiphut Yep, bang on the money there. :+1:

Yea you do in Australia :rofl: :roll_eyes: of course, need a licence to fart here

Not even air is free here… Bleh.

I wonder if Sonoran desert institute does online courses?

SDI are an online course company. Wether they would accept someone from overses… I’m looking through their polices now…

Ba bow … Enrollment & Admissions Requirements - Sonoran Desert Institute (sdi.edu)

Must be a US citizen.

Look at these I found if you’re interested training.gov.au - 10925NAT - Certificate IV in Small Arms Weapon Maintenance

Certificate IV in Firearms | Asset College

Ah well, that’s a shame. I was joking about applying.