Members Motorbike related Hobbies outside of Gelblaster appreciation

Yea I might have to search that next. Must have been too much Woodstock flowing in the 70’s :laughing:

Interesting read @DocBob The Two-Rotor Corvette Was Never Supposed to Be a Corvette (motortrend.com)

The Four-Rotor Corvette Prototype Was the ‘Almost’ Mid-Engine Production Corvette (motortrend.com)

Holy crap they sure upsized the Japs cubic inch and horsepower. Interesting read.

2 Likes

Thanks heaps for those links, I’m seriously shocked that I never knew anything about GM’s plans to make Wankel powered Corvettes and the other model sports cars.

It certainly makes sense to use those engines in a small and light two seater sports car, but the US/EU emissions/fuel regulations definitely would have been something that the Rotary Engine could never comply with :frowning:

Pretty amazing to think that the Rotary engine was first invented in the early 1900’s, but is also why their design could never meet modern emission standards.

A mate of mine at TAFE in 88/89 had a Mazda RX3 13b powered Coupe and it spent more time in the car park than every other vehicle that everyone else had there!

The few times I had to get a lift with him, it was loud, heaps of vibrations and stunk like all buggery inside and out of the exhaust :nauseated_face:

Had a horrible ear bleeding drone that went through the whole vehicle at certain revs, and the fuel/exhaust smell was just a constant stink whether it was running or not.

He ended up selling it and getting a little Scooby Doo Surf Wagon……. which was a much better vehicle than the Mazda! :sunglasses:

IMG_8753

2 Likes

I remember similar in my apprentice days a few of the fellow Tafe go ers had RX2’s and one RX3. They never left on time as I bolted off in my chick magnet Volkswagen :rofl:

Straight out pipes they made a hell of a racket and smoke when they got them going but a Camira would drag them off. :sweat_smile:

Good grief! Who’d pay this Mazda RX-3 cars for sale in Australia - carsales.com.au for a shitbox :rofl:

1 Like

I just got a massive shock too when simply googling for a pic of a Mazda RX3 to post for context!

I quickly stumbled across a couple of “for sale” sites looking for a pic and seen the prices :flushed:

The ones I seen though were simply stock standard survivor cars and yet they were still around the $50k mark!

I can understand why though, because they were absolute garbage rust buckets and can imagine that there’s very few surviving in one piece these days :roll_eyes:

I have a friend who has a bloody Datsun 180B who keeps telling me is worth a fortune, but I’ve yet to research how much those dog tin cans are fetching in today’s market, but would imagine that there’s feckall of them left on the planet and are probably worth a pretty penny too🤔

2 Likes

Ha in fact weren’t all Mazda’s rust buckets. I remember my Grandmas 120Y, smoked like a train and had rust here and there. As fussy she was it was in good nick but I’d think that would be part of a tin of baked beans today haha Damned if that thing was slow as all get out. Don’t see any 120Y’s around these days.

She had a Mini 1200 S before that(which was a lil beast, yellow), some dickhead swiped the front off it and sent her in hospital for a bit. So ended up with the Datsun after. Definate downgrade.

1 Like

My sisters first car was a 120y, and we used to take it out of town to “the pines” and rally the fck out of it :joy:

We nicknamed it “Boom Boom Datto”, and is still what I call them to this day!

Something to do with the sound it made when Valve bouncing the engine, bottoming out through ruts and bouncing off of the vegetation when seriously sending it sideways at speed!

Couldn’t kill the little bastard though, and she always somehow managed to get back home and to work each day :+1:

1 Like

Oh man, there’s one still alive 1974 Datsun 120Y Deluxe Manual (carsales.com.au)

I remember the 1200cc motor and the 4 speed was really tall geared. Maybe the motor was just fucked as it blew heaps of smoke :rofl:

1 Like

They only made power above 5500 rpm from our experience :flushed::joy:

1 Like

Carefully zooming in on those photos to try and judge the metal to bog ratio :joy:

Oh jesus I had a look, there’s some choice bodywork on the rear end. The doors too bottom rear corners look a bit dodgey. Especially the one with a piece hanging off lol

Totally worth 8 grand. Bargain.

Yeah we all know what areas to carefully look at when we know exactly where they rust out in different panel areas and seams :joy:
I can achieve some pretty awesome metal repairs and patch up jobs, but 90% of bog jobs on vehicles posted online look like they got a Plasterer/Concreter to do the job :flushed:

You guys are bringing back some memories.
I have owned so many different cars I have lost count.
You see I figured out a cunning system in the eighties and nineties
I would Cruze the car lots looking for trade-ins that they did not want offer a couple of hundred dollars.
And drive of in a different car almost every month.
Sell them of usually for more than I payed for them.

Been doing the same with bikes up until 5 years ago.

Never paid rego for almost 15 years
As some came with rego and all had at least plates on them (no plate scanning technology then).
In those days nobody wanted V8
Or Rotary’s everyone wanted the lates cars.
The list of cars I haven’t owned is way shorter than the one’s I have .
Same with bikes.
BUT alas times have changed
I can’t get away with that now
plus it was an adrenaline rush to see what car or bike I could find.
Now days everyone s asking price for vehicles is crazy.

1 Like

Oh yea! Just what I need for the farm. Check the video out Yamaha RD250 air cooled twin 2 stroke 1978 barn find motocross trail farm bike | eBay

There’s a guy I bump into every now and again on a ride who has converted a Hayabusa into a road trail bike.
It’s road registered
It would be funny if you were doing 200kph
And get overtaken by a trail bike.
Mind you Honda’s cr500 and Kawasaki’s kx 500 two strokes .
Are bloody fast.
There is a guy on YouTube who fitted one to a Vespa.

1 Like

The 500 mx two stroke are seeing a resurgence with a couple companies making conversions, parts the lot to fit in to modern mx chassis. Bloody expensive for a dirt bike though

BRC YZM500 Yamaha MY99-24 - BRC Motorsport (brcracing.ca)

T 500 - Tomasin R&D (tomasinracing.net)

I see BRC are working on a twin 2 stroke to slot in to an R6 :astonished:

The Hyabusa off road… nuts. I remember seeing a Vespa with a twin maybe a banshee motor in it on utoob.

Or this one. Good channel this one. All 2 strokes https://youtu.be/WxXKslHTPqg?si=S9x8pT1ik1rixLb2

Check this out https://youtu.be/UONSUq2faRA?si=NSDVZPvsoDYH51BZ

1 Like

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I first saw the quad exhaust…… but then I seen the Cylinders poking out the sides and went :flushed:

I wondered how they joined the casing and crank, but it’s all similar work that I’ve seen done on some custom engines before, nonetheless an amazing piece of engineering :ok_hand:

I wonder if he ever got the smell out of his BBQ! :joy:

Some pics at the end of the build in progress, ha why not. Sounds great :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

Lots of cutting and welding along with all the other custom parts is great to see those build pics.
Loved the sound and could almost smell that smoke through my screen!

Haven’t heard my RD run in years :frowning:

1 Like

Well you know what ya gotta do… give yours a run! And put video on here for us :grin:

1 Like