Soldering or Sodder for those across the pond

A common question. Some of the experienced here like @Friendly_Fire know this fine art well. Hope some others chime in with their knowledge.

It really isn’t that hard and I’m by no means an expert first learning the basics in school.

Before you mess up your love and joy blaster I recommend getting some old wires cut them off an old appliance(that is destined for the trash) and do some practice.

Currently I’m covered by a TS100 for all my needs TS100 Soldering Iron Review - The Best Iron For The Price? (rchelicopterfun.com)

I can plug a lipo in and use it where I have no mains power(which I really need) and has plenty of juice to cook wires when I need it even heavy gauge tractor battery cables. Plus it has fine points when you do the fiddly stuff like on blasters. I will run it up to 340c for heavy stuff but then easy to turn it down for smaller fine stuff.

Not saying you should get that exact iron but it suits my needs.

I use 50/50 1mm rosin cored wire as that is what I have and it does the job as it’s higher melting point than 60/40 and just works better on what I need it for. Plus I have a heap.

Then there is flux, you definitely want that as it helps clean the surfaces to join, makes the solder flow better and adhere. Plus it smells great. Who needs drugs. Either liquid or paste whatever works for you. If it’s non toxic well that’s going to be better for you. I have NFI what’s in the “non toxic” one I use as it’s made in China and probably made from goat earwax or something.

Hope the other soldering gurus chime in as there is a lot of ways you can go about it. But give it a go it’s really not that hard. Just practice :+1:

“Goat earwax”… :joy: :joy:

Buying the best soldering station you can afford is great advice… you definitely get what you pay for, and the better quality units last a looong time, and offer better control. Same with the tip about practicing on scrap wire, best way to learn risk free.

It all boils down to prep, cleanliness and correct iron temperature… the rest literally flows from that.

Oh, and keeping an eye on where the hot part of the iron is at all times is also super-important. Sometimes you focus so much on the end of the wire you’re soldering that you don’t realise you’re melting wiring insulation somewhere else… or worse, melting the shell of your blaster.