SUPREME COURT OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Ruling, Gel Blasters INVAILD

Thanks for these updates and continued hard work :clap::+1:

TAYLOR -v- CLARK [2023] WASC 365 - eCourts Portal (justice.wa.gov.au)

1 Like

“ … It’s a question about whether the particular prohibition comes within the meaning of the words in the statute which enable the regulations and within the scope and purpose of the legislation.

And, in my view, when one has regard to the dictionary definitions of the word ‘weapon’ and then the types of items or articles that were described by the Attorney‑General in the second reading speech, and, indeed, the other items and articles that are specified in the schedule to the Weapons Act, being things such as knives, martial arts implements, nunchuckas, that they are all items which have as their purpose the infliction of injury in fighting or combat.

And that the evidence in this case does not establish the gel blaster is something that was manufactured for that same purpose and so cannot be properly described as a weapon and, accordingly, in my view, the prescription of a gel blaster is outside the scope and purpose of the Weapons Act and I, therefore, find Mr Clark not guilty.[4]”

This is a single ruling by a Magistrate in a single case where the Defendant was charged with unlawful possession of 2 Gelblasters.

This is not a ruling by a High Court to lift the Bans/Laws that Papalia and the Police Minister pushed through Legislation to Re-write the Weapons Act to include Gelblaster’s, but it’s definitely a great outcome for anyone else charged and brought to Trial as a Case Matter to be used in their Defence :+1:

This can also be used to Lobby other Ministers with the Statements made by this Judge to further push forward the illegality of the rushed Bans in WA👌

“In essence, the respondent contended:

(1) the Weapons Act is concerned with or directed to ‘weapons’ within that word’s common law or ordinary meaning;

(2) the regulation making power in the Weapons Act could only extend to ‘weapons’ in the common law or ordinary sense;

(3) a ‘prohibited weapon’ could only be a weapon in the common law or ordinary sense;

(4) gel blasters are not ‘weapons’ within a common law or ordinary sense; and

(5) accordingly, the Weapons Regulations were beyond power if they prescribed gel blasters as they were not ‘weapons’.

29 The respondent’s argument was that the Weapons Regulations prescribing gel blasters dealt with a subject outside the scope of the empowering provision. This is sometimes referred to as simple ultra vires.[11]”

“ On the [appellant’s] proposed construction of the Act, there would be no constraint on the scope of articles that might be prescribed as a ‘prohibited weapon’: a pillow, a pen, walking cane, flashlight, or toys such as a cricket bat, foam sword or Nerf gun can be ‘prohibited weapons’.[13]”

“ It was not contended below or in this Court that it was somehow beyond the power of the Legislature to regulate gel blasters. That has been done, on its face, by a combination of a very broad statutory definition of ‘weapon’ to include a ‘prohibited weapon’ and the Weapons Regulations which have clearly included gel blasters within ‘prohibited weapon’.”

Respectfully I don’t agree. The courts in the ruling are correct as there is a clear defection given what item could be Prohibited. Correctly followed GBs could be under the ACT. I am sure they will correct if the coming press statements are unlawful yer

Everything I posted above in quotation marks are direct copy and pastes from the Court Documents themselves, not my own words or opinions.

It’s definitely a good ruling which gives strength to our arguments against the bans, but it’s still a law that stands in place that anyone caught can be prosecuted under, and would have to be fought out in the Courts just like this poor bloke has been through :worried:

It would seem that the main argument that the Prosecution has switched to is not the Firearms Act Definition of a Weapon, but now using the argument against the Laws in regards to the possession of a “Prohibited Weapon.”

This is a smart move by the Prosecution to sidestep the arguments over the legality of a Gelblaster complying as a “weapon” under the Firearms Act, which they are obviously losing in that argument……. so have shifted their attention to arguing that the charges are justified under the “Prohibited Weapons Act.”

So it’s a double edged argument for the legality of Gelblasters, whereas both the Firearms Act AND the Prohibited Weapons Act are needed to be challenged to remove Gelblasters from their definitions to be considered Legal for use and possession.

“One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong, can you tell which thing is not like the others by the time I finish my song?”

1 Like

Is this legit or did the WA gov do a sneaky sneak and edit the laws.

the WA police minister is rubbish.

1 Like

Yes agree a darn good predicaments. Now we just have to us the opportunity. Get a Bill Drafted as the amendment now has to be repealed but must have something to replace it

As per the comments by the Magistrate in these proceedings……. whereas everything on the whole list are actual real weapons designed exclusively to cause physical harm/death upon a person, the kids toy Gelblaster certainly doesn’t meet the Legal Definition by any means :roll_eyes:

1 Like

i wish NSW did the same. I already knew the NSW police’s reasoning was just as rubbish as WA police’s logic, they (NSW Police) even lost their court case with Brad Towne but yet still banned them anyway… WTF!!!

lazy cops run by karens.

1 Like

do you mean “precedent”?

dis is interesting do it be go further tho

Who knows, it’s up to the individual people to get on board and keep the pressure up on our current State Governments to try and break the status quo’s :thinking:

1 Like

A test case, perhaps…??
To try the new legislation…??

Shall i send you over a ZB-26, @DocBob …?? :rofl: :rofl:

As long as you’re paying the court costs, yeah go for it mate! :joy:

The answer to all of this is quite simple and is the same answer that was used to ban replica guns (in army disposal shops) and plastic 1:1 scale kit models of firearms (in hobby shops) back in the 1980s. And I remember the '70s and '80s well - yes, it was a golden age for firearms and replicas in Australia.

Dickheads would point replicas at police officers and members of the public, and so the police who dealt with these issues ‘at the sharp end’ didn’t want the public having them (blanket rule).

Such is life.