Bi-carb gel growing

Read on another forum folks are using bicarb to control grow gel size.
So far my experiments with xtac booms have yielded.
5ml bicarb 1 litre of water grown over night ended up at 7mm
10ml of bicarb 2.5 litre water ended up at about 7.2mm not 100% sure as they got mixed with other gels.
Anyone else experimented with this.

Another Gel-Aids topic… :expressionless:

Haven’t seen it yet myself, but it’s certainly possible that Bi-Carb might have a reaction with the acrylic acid, sodium hydroxide and polymers that they are made from.

I think we need a Chemistry student to research how different mixtures in growth water can effect the Gels :thinking:

This was discussed on a few threads on the old forum.
The figures I was given were - 1.5 gms bicarb to 1 litre water.
The bicarb definitely slowed grow times. The idea was a slower grow would lead to more consistent sized gels.

5 Likes

Growing gels in different things can certainly change the chemistry of the gel, and while on one hand I enjoy technological progress I also know that the difference between toy and firearms is what type of polymer you project.

Some places already ban harder gels.
Tread very carefully with the legal implications of what you discuss here.

6 Likes

Good point. I have removed the reference to hardness.

2 Likes

Can be used on all gels, for myself its about sizing and consistency

Yes definitely not a goal to get harder gels, more specifically about consistent growth and proper gel sizing :+1:

This has always been the issue with growing gels…… consistent growth size for better feeding and accuracy, not trying to promote harder gels.

2 Likes

If it helps with the consistency then id like to know more. ATM i need to run AKA tenacity for anykind of consistency with my small ID barrels and my pistol.
If using Controled grow with a good consistency it would mean i can use other available gells as once the current batch of AKA’s is gone they have also turned to a non consistent gell.
Just a note to anyone using the AKA’s, early year 2021 batches (and before) are the good batches. Later in the year they declined in quality.

3 Likes

Had a chat with my chemist mate. Alas he can not make anything to aid a good night out.
Could not think of anything add weight to gels
Recommends pH neutral water. By-card or caustic soda will strengthen the bonds of the gel resulting in a tougher gel and a controlled grow.
Only way to get heavier gel is to manufacture them with more polymer in the beginning. This is possible with more $$$

Any Caustic Soda in a Gelblaster would be a disaster for the internals :flushed::confused:

Aw nu sum rusty causing bois

20220805_192243

Getting my science on. Measured by weight rather than volume. Got 3 glasses with 125ml of water. With bicarb of 3 weights.
.22g
.22g
.26g
Will let them grow and measure the sizes later.

2 Likes

Result are in.
125ml of water.
.20g of bicarb
Min size 7.08mm
Max size 7.40mm
Average over 20 gels 7.1955mm

.22g bicarb 125ml water
Min size 6.85mm
Max size 7.26mm
Average over 20 gels 7.1275mm

.26g bicarb to 125ml of water
Min 7.13mm
Max 7.50mm
Average over 20gels 7.3mm

Was expecting the gels to gradually get smaller as more bicarb was added 0.22 g per 125ml of water seems to give best results. 0.26 was noticeably bigger. Curious if there is a tipping point between 0.22 and 0.26g
Using tank water for grow so should be fairly neutral pH wise.

1 Like

20220806_095410

4 Likes

Yeah, but Caustic Soda eats rust :+1:
But also dissolves aluminium :flushed:

So had a grow going in tonic water with Ihobbies, 4 hours now and 6.8 on average :thinking:
Taking some out and transferred to tap water👍

2 Likes

Overnight and still nothing over 6.8-6.9😳

3 Likes

BECAUSE I THINK SO FAR OUT OF THE BOX I AM GOING TO TRY THESE

URINE

FB_IMG_1662159236263

HOLY WATER

FB_IMG_1662159171015

AND TRU BLOOD

FB_IMG_1662160184378

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN

2 Likes

did a 4 hour grow of black bag aka’s in tank water - no bi-carb but probably a dead gekko or two. Looked good as most were under 7.35 sieve size.

Didn’t notice that many of them were under 7.00mm until they started to dribble out of the barrel. Never had that happen before.

Now have to brew some elites and re-adjust the hopups on the blasters that aren’t going to guerilla today because of the precipitation

2 Likes