Current project on your bench

Thanks heaps for all of this, very helpful and informative :ok_hand:
I also applaud AZRAELā€™s for leading in Gelblaster innovation for such a long time, and also still have a few of their adjustable t-pieces sitting around somewhere which never really got to finish in certain builds at the time.

Also used to make the standard habit of cutting and fitting quality return springs to every build, especially pedantic in coating them with silicone grease as well! :sunglasses:

The APACHE was fiddly, but perfect in such builds as you mentioned, where Airsoft style limited tappet travel in the castings was a pain in the neck :roll_eyes:

Those SLONG gelblasters are getting very good reviews from owners in the USA who are modifying them right now, and seem to be coming the favourite gearbox to play around with without yet seeming to have too many issues with them running gels so farā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ but then again, they arenā€™t quite up to the same standard as your knowledge level quite yet!

If you do end up going down this path and need an adjustable t-pieceā€¦ā€¦ just let me know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just some update photos of the ā€œDaybreakerā€ build. Might just get a J9 box to chuck in it but will have to rewire to the front, could always just use the buffer tube rear but I donā€™t think it wouldnā€™t look as good.

3 Likes

Looks awesome!
Thatā€™s some pretty smooth and solid print pieces there :ok_hand:

Also that LDX tappetless cylinder I got from that TL-toys. 4 mags through it so far without issues, doesnā€™t seem to like anything softter than those X-force pinkies though.

On semi

And full auto.

2 Likes

Still need to give it all a good sanding but itā€™s fitting together pretty well so far, need to go through and do the heat insets too but I really should get the tips for that to make it easier

I just googled those LDX Tappetless heads, as I was curious as to how they looked.

Certainly seems much more simple and efficient design than that crappy Chinese thing that I pictured previously :joy:

Pretty decent numbers and feeding by the looks of it, will be interesting to see what the lifecycle is of the parts before they start giving trouble :thinking:

I had gotten the cheaper one too, which with the way the nozzle toob is once the tip is glued on you canā€™t take it out cause itā€™s bigger than the hole, but was probably gonna grab a couple of the others and see how they go cause theyā€™re slightly different. The guy that runs it is on top of comms too, letting me know when things are being packed and posted etc

1 Like

Same here, I got a video of him boxing up my order. Thatā€™s a first.

Wellā€¦ (Cough pun intended) I bought a Classic Army SR-40 last week for $149 at Tax Edge. First time instore and had a good experience.

Gave it a try with inconsistent results, with AKA, Ultra Elites, and predator v2s; would get anywhere from 300ish to 330fps. The inner barrel is not stabilised and has a good mm or two of play. Very inaccurate and inconsistent.

First order was to design and print a muzzle that would hold a riser style hopup and stabilise the inner barrel. Did that, tried a uband and was never able to get results you expect from a bolt action. Then tried an old riser that has never worked well on anything and fuck meā€¦ works well. Most shots going pretty straight but a few just get overhopped and I suspect they are the sub 300fps shots Iā€™d get one out of every mag.

Also mag only holds 11 gels. And the blaster seemed to prefer full size gels, which didnā€™t fit through the hole and the mag would shave edges of gelsā€¦ filed that out and itā€™s good now. If it wasnā€™t perfect out of the box it ainā€™t a gel blaster I guess!

And less the a weekā€¦ it happened. Not happy with the results from hopup, fixing mags and different gelsā€¦ itā€™s time.

Of course I pulled it apart today and went over it. Looks good and appears to be VSR10 tm spec inside. Thatā€™s good.

Gave the whole thing a good clean, replaced the cylinder head oring, and piston head oring for slightly larger ones. The cylinder head wasnā€™t too bad but the piston head oring was smaller than the piston. Now I can block the nozzle and fire it and the piston will air brake, release and slam forward when I unblock the nozzle. Perfect. Bit of lubing and reassemble and itā€™s far better now. Getting solid average of 360fps and consistent.

Might try another hopup yet as I have a ihobby riser which has 3 different upper tongues to tryā€¦ all in good time but for now itā€™s reaching out with a bit of accuracy so I am pretty happy.

Psā€¦ the 320fps was an odd one, I used aka gels that were grown with no care or sorting for 5 hours as I didnā€™t get home in time!

Like most blasters in my collectionā€¦ ended up with a 3d printed something, and got a tune up straight away. 4x cheapo scope works well with it and the bipod because Iā€™ve had it and never really used it and itā€™s a bolt action.

2 Likes

Great results and a good informative read :ok_hand:
Being able to air brake the cylinder is quite the accomplishment in air sealing quality, especially compared with ya normal AEG :roll_eyes:

Whatā€™s the barrel I.D. out of curiosity, in regards to the gel/feed lip size situation and the hop up performance anomolties?

1 Like

Cheers DocBob. I watched a bunch of VSR10 videos, and the consensus was that you should be able to air brake the piston, so I just went about it. Itā€™s an odd choice for a manufacturer on a bolt action to not use the right o-ring to to it, since there is no danger of breakage if there is a jam, and the oring stock was the same size as the plastic piston, almost pointless putting one in at all.

I was told it was a 7.4mm I.D. barrel, which I reckon is on the money (hard to measure with my verniers but seemed to be a 7.4mm), as the ultra elites I used were all 7.5-7.6mm, and the akas were around 7.4mm with some at 7.5mm, the price of thinking I would be home in time to empty them out at 3.5hours, and getting them at 5 hours (traffic!).

Inner barrel is around 450mm long, and regretfully I didnt measure the swept volume of the cylinder, or think about it til after I had it reassembled, but from an educated guess, it could do with a 500mm barrel, mount a suppressor and hopup.

TBH if I am to do that, might be on the non cheek riser version next time they have them for $150 :wink: Currently pretty happy with how tight my printed muzzle is, it was almost impossible to get on and to get it off will probably break it. Also holds the riser very tight, though in hindsight, I wish I left a provision for the grub screws on the front for removal of the hopup, they neatly can be accessed through the cutouts in the flash hider, but to remove the hopup also needs the grubs to be removed, version 2 would have to change I think. I will get photos later :slight_smile:

Feed lips on the mag are quite good, I will investigate the inner barrel next time as there is a gel version of what would be a hop unit there, its not a tpiece, more the gel is pushed into a rubber on the barrel directly from the feed lips by the nozzle. Again, directly from airsoft VSR10, but no pressure on the top of the rubber from a hop arm/unit.

I have had a quick shoot with it of about 50 rounds since the service/upgrade, and it shoots much straighter and more consistent. The odd ball flies off massively, but most sail very straight for 30m, I donā€™t have the place to test beyond that yet. Still tuning, I am not a fan of dialing in dual tongue hopups, even less with a bolt action! But they do work well once sorted.

1 Like

Cheers for the detailed and informative reply :+1:

You really have my trigger finger itching from seeing and reading about all of the fun you are having fine tuning this particular blaster!

I just wish I could have the same opportunity to be able to purchase this exact same model and have a play modifying it myself!

Only queried the barrel size because of as you would already have the knowledge/experience to know that the difference between magazine/feed lip sizing and barrel sizing would make a world of difference in getting them to both match up and work together correctly :+1:

As for cylinder porting, I can also appreciate the difference between manual springers and AEGā€™s when it comes to barrel lengths and diameters.

AEGā€™s top out at 400-450mm barrels on 100% cylinders due to poor quality air sealing throughout the whole system, whereas positive mechanical sealing in manual springer blasters can push the envelope much further in relation to Volume Efficiency of the gearbox.

I was only commenting that the mag feed lips will regulate the size of gels that you must use to feed cleanly and efficiently, so should only be a last final step to match your inner barrel size to suit :ok_hand:

No doubt you will be taking a microscope to the magazine/feed lips/gel feed surfaces to eliminate any rough edges to ensure that the fragile gels can feed smoothly throughout the whole system without any damage whatsoever :white_check_mark:

1 Like

My gel ball sorter arrived yesterday from wat. Today i designed and 3d printed some adapters for the 3 lower outlets to attach some 25mm tubing and also a funnel attachment for the top. I tried it out with the coke bottles on the bottom which got me to thinking of the tubes and funnel idea. I just tried it all out with 3 bunnings buckets on the bottom and other than the gels bouncing around in the buckets it worked extremely well. The flexible tubing also allows me to use smaller containers if i want or need too.

Also regarding the sorter unit itself, it works extremely well. I had some gladiators (2 hr grow in hot water and also 1hr 15min grow in hot water) and with the sorter, around 75% of the 2hr gels went through the larger size (larger than 7.35mm) with the rest going through the middle size (7.15 - 7.35mm) and with only a few through the smallest size of under 7.15mm. The 1hr 15min gels had about even amount of medium sizing and large sizing with a handful or so of the smaller size gels. Having such a variation in sizing would not help with accuracy or consistancy so being able to sort them more accurately cant hurt.

3 Likes

Awesome feedback for anyone looking to get one of these cool time saving devices :+1:

The things we find to shove into our buildsā€¦ :joy:

One of the BF M203s kindly donated by our very generous forum members (you know who you are :wink:) got the treatment yesterday.

In the search for something round to shove up the barrel to blank it off with style, and having no squash balls to hand, I cast my eye over the still standing Christmas tree. A round gold bauble caught my eye, so a bit of trimming, sanding and glueing laterā€¦ boom shanka!

I even got lucky with the base colourā€¦ grey, which is what I was going to spray it anyway. Screw holes filled, priming grip relocated and front picatinny bracket added it looks about on a par with the JM SCAR it fits onto. :laughing: I love these old dinosaurs.

So if youā€™re like me and like to improvise, Iā€™ll bet you spend 100% of your time eyeballing EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to see if it can be used as a greeble on your builds. :wink:

1 Like

I am a firm believer in repurposing stuff

Just bought a second hand wells mb05 and I am quite disappointed with the accuracy and the distance it goes. I was considering converting it to gas or something along the lines of that. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me make it better thanks

I went down the gas conversion route along with another member on the old forum at the time (cant remember their name). While it did get fps up really high, consistancy was really bad due to being too fast for the gels. Ended up converting it back to spring with the weaker spring installed to slow it down. Accuracy ended up reasonable for what it is. Best result was to just get a remington msr and leave that stock but add a hopup. 250 is fps but way better accuracy and more mag capacity.

Thanks for the info but I donā€™t have much cash right now I spent it on the sniper and I want to get the absolute best out of this thing because it took me a while to get it