GBX-CQB and GBX-LR feedback

HI,

New here, Looking at getting my first blaster and after looking through some posts found the above models and being all metal thought that one of them will do nicely and should last. I’m just looking for some more feedback from people who own one or both of these currently.

Be cool to see what mods people have done both performance wise and cosmetic. I’m sure there is plenty of compatible stuff out there but its a little overwhelming as I don’t know what works with what yet.

I’m leaning toward the CQB although the length of the LR is cool and keeps making me think again…

1 Like

If it’s your first blaster, just buy the one you like the look of the best. I don’t think you will find any difference in performance etc. between the two models.
All metal does look and feel great in my opinion, but they are heavy, (check the descriptions) if you’re intending to run around a field all day with it.
On the good side, they do seem to be a solid blaster with a decent motor.
On the not so good side, some people (including myself) have had some issues with semi not working properly when running on 11.1v. However I mainly use auto so it hasn’t annoyed me enough to pull it apart yet ( but I think I will eventually). So if you want reliable semi on 11.1v without modding then this may not be the one for you.
Also they seem to come with a female deans connector in the blaster and you can buy a battery from them when you buy the blaster ( which I assume must have a male deans connector) but otherwise you will need to replace the female deans connector with a male connector so it works with standard batteries (the battery normally has the female). So if your not comfortable with a soldering iron this may be another thing worth considering.
Best to have a read of some of the threads on this forum regarding these blasters regarding likes and dislikes.
Regardless of the couple issues above, I’m happy with mine, especially considering the current price.

5 Likes

Awesome reply to the OP @BigDamo :ok_hand:
Thanks for the informative details that I’m sure helps out anyone looking to purchase these blasters :+1:

1 Like

Cheers for the info and your experiences! I ended up getting the LR version. I could only find two other threads that mentioned these one of which was about the semi firing issues. I’m an electronics tech by trade so I’m not afraid of soldering and tinkering. I’d love to see some pictures and hear about mods (cosmetic or performance) to these blasters.

1 Like

The overruns on semi whilst using 11.1V batteries is not uncommon for many different AEG blasters in stock standard form.
This is something that I would never actually claim as a fault in any blaster that was designed to operate on slower 7.4V ROF.

And really……. is it a bad thing to let loose two gels on a single tap instead of only one :thinking:

People spend a lot of money to get three round bursts out of a single tap, so getting two round burst stock is pretty good :joy:

Make sure to upload your own pics and information/review once you get this blaster so that others can benefit from your experience :+1:

4 Likes

Yep I agree the burst in semi mode sounds like a ‘feature’ to me! :joy:

Mods I’m currently looking at are:

Drum mag
Barrel (not sure if it comes with a decent one)
Motor (if needed)
Fore grip
Reflex sight
Change out battery connections
Hop up

Only mod I’ll do right away is the battery connections. I did not get a battery with the blaster as I wanted a decent 11.1v. The rest I’ll look at performance then cosmetic.

1 Like

One thing I didn’t mention earlier was regarding hopups, on these the inner barrel can freely rotate in the tee, so either buy a 14mm CCW thread hopup that attaches to the outer barrel or glue the barrel/tee together so it doesn’t spin if using a hopup that attaches to the inner barrel like a rizen v2 (couple drops of superglue where the barrel enters the tee seems to have worked for me)

2 Likes

Great info thread. I’m still in two minds about these as I want to get a metal gear M4 instead of upgrading my Cyma.

So now I learn (thx) that the GBX won’t take my standard batteries…??..sad face. :roll_eyes:…and they have a inherent selector failure issue…hmmm…I suppose at $220 for metal that’s acceptable, the closet metal M4 is probably $400, so with it’s issues, maybe still a good bye.

1 Like

It’s super easy to change over the connections to a tamiya one, for what it’s worth. If you take the blaster down to the local shop, they’ll probably swap the connector over for pretty cheap.

3 Likes

You can always throw the mechanical switch in the bin and go for a mosfet. All depends how much you want to mod it and spend.

2 Likes

Yeah I like to tinker so ill be slamming the mods in once I work out whats compatible with what. A lot of bits and bobs in this hobby I’m discovering.

2 Likes

The GBX might even be! Brand new out of the box.
The owner told me they were x display.

1 Like

There is only so many you can display. Are you sure all GBX are not BNIB. Quite a bold statement. What owner? of what?

1 Like

I went there.
X display models he may have said as the reason there at such a good price. He said he had a ton of them to get rid of.
And pointed them out sitting in a rack. There may have been brand new ones in boxes behind them, so I could be 100% wrong and they are new.
The one I tried out was the old shop piece and it did feel like a nice blaster.
Do you think I should delete my post?
I just wanted to inform people so they can make sure there getting a good deal.

3 Likes

Anyone interested in purchasing can ask the owner direct if they are brand new/ex display or second hand blasters for their own peace of mind :+1:

By the way…… welcome back @Cacophony :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Not at all, merely trying to extract more expansion on your claim so others can understand otherwise it could be misconstrued as they are ALL second hand used which is the assumption I had from your post. That’s all :+1:

2 Likes

Wait what…???.. :roll_eyes: :sunglasses:

So if I go there and buy one it could a used one boxed back up…??

No wonder they’re so cheap at $220… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

I don’t really want to dig another hole…maybe I should upgrade my Cyma with a $200 metal gearbox… :face_with_monocle:

Let you know when mine arrives :rofl:

4 Likes

For $220 you get a metal gearbox and a second full metal blaster for free :ok_hand:

I know what option I would take given the opportunity :joy:

3 Likes

Even not knowing about the semi issue and having to change the battery connector at the time I purchased mine, I’m still happy with my purchase. Like @DocBob said it’s $220 for a metal gearbox and metal blaster.

2 Likes