Members Motorbike related Hobbies outside of Gelblaster appreciation

There’s a lot of bike restoration channels on youtube, for the most part the people bore me by throwing thousands of dollars of go fast goodies on and blinging it to the nines.

Michael Sabo, yes he throws heaps of money at it but he is a perfectionist. Not a know it all, takes you through things as he learns like that episode he’ll be learning to TIG weld and tries some things like this case repair, far out that’s ambitious. He’s down to earth and funny.

I’m not so much in to quads, he does other stuff occasionally, 2 wheelers, bought a flood damaged Corvette he plans to restore.

Makes for entertaining watching :+1:

1 Like

My mechanic mate bought a really high quality workshop grade TIG welder recently with the money I gave him for a boat purchase. He’s been playing around with it for a while now, getting up to speed with it.

Boy, do I have some projects for him. :thinking:

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth
The quickest way to curb vehicle thief
Is to buy a manual car.
Current youths have no idea how to drive a manual .
Remember when it was an optional extra to buy an automatic.
Well now it’s extra to buy a manual as most car manufacturers don’t have one in a lot of there models.

2 Likes

Even trucks come in automatic now. I recently did my truck license and was queried why I wanted to do the manual course. I said are you kidding there is something to learn with manual and trucks especially, automatic what’s to learn stick it in D and stand on the brakes.

Their reply was oh that’s only for old trucks which are getting less and less. They’re all automatic these days and I wouldn’t need it. Yea right :roll_eyes: what about the older ones, still plenty of those around.

Absolutely agree!
I have had my Truck License since the day I was old enough to apply……… because working on regional Farms I was already driving Cattle/Sheep/Grain Trucks on remote back roads since I was 14 anyway :joy:

All the old trucks had manual 18 Speed Road Rangers or Allison Gearboxes and everything other piece of machinery were obviously all manuals as well.

I have a lot of mates who are in the Trucking business, and I have had many discussions regarding the Automatic Trucks …… which is something that I still can’t wrap my head around as being something that I would want to operate!

It’s true that it’s easier to find drivers for these rigs, but the Auto’s were mainly developed for fuel efficiency, power delivery and various other maintenance and safety improvements.

Unfortunately this has led to a large influx of “steering wheel attendants”, mostly from overseas and very inexperienced, to be able to get into the industry and cause a fair bit of havoc wherever they go :flushed:

I am currently in the process of upgrading my old Open HR License to Open MC, as there’s still thousands of businesses screaming out for experienced Manual Licensed Drivers, simply because we are a dying breed because 98% of all the new drivers only have Restricted Automatic Licenses.

Believe it or not, it has taken a lot of searching and phone calls to find a single Training Centre that can even provide Open Class Manual Training/Licensing services because they only have the capacity to do the Restricted Automatic Learning/Licensing only :roll_eyes:

This is WA, the largest Dirt Farming place on Earth, and yet there’s been only a single Manual capable Training/Licensing Facility that I have been able to find in the whole Southwest……. and even then, it’s very expensive because they have to sub contract a Manual Prime Mover and Operator to be able to complete the driver training/assessment process.

Looking to do 1 year Regional Long Haul and then hopefully be able to head North to drive Quad Side Tippers for $220k a year :sunglasses:

1 Like

Driving a manual vehicle requires a certain amount of dexterity and brain function.
Unlike an auto
I was told awhile back by my doctor (who is an amateur rally driver)that as we get older that diminishes.
He said
do as many things in your life that keep your mind and body moving.
Because as the saying goes “use it or lose it”.
I currently own two cars one manual one auto.
Same in bikes four manual and one auto (yes I am down to only 5 bikes :sob::sob:)
My go to for city use is the scooter or the auto car if it very hot (air con).
Were in actual fact I should be using the manual vehicles to keep up my physical wellbeing.
But alas I am also lazy :weary:
Back in the day automatic were rare no one wanted them
They were to hard to work on.
90%of cars were manual and not your fancy floor shift.
Column shift manual
(try eating a pie while your beer is between your legs and fag (cigarette for you younger generation) in the other hand doing a reverse park (again for the younger generation placing your car in a parallel parking spot)
All while changing column shift reverse.
It was a simpler time back then
Because when you looked at someone you new straight away what gender they were

Driving a non-synchro 18 Speed Roadranger without using the clutch was always an exercise in dexterity! :flushed::joy:

Having been taught to drive on farms since I was 5 years old, everything was manual, including all of my very first motorbikes since I was a little kid.

Being a classic car owner my whole life means that out of the 50+ vehicles that I ever owned were all 1930’s-1978 and were every single combination of synchro/non synchro 3/4/5 speed manual’s, both column and floor shift……. whereas I only ever owned 2 Automatic vehicles, which were a 64 EH Holden and a 68 ZB Fairlane.

Autos were boring, but were still enjoyable in those old classic cruisers :sunglasses:

The old days of being 15 years old driving a 69 HK Holden down the old dusty rural roads with a meat pie sitting on the dashboard, bottle of Coke in the lap, steering with both knees under the wheel whilst rolling a cigarette with both hands were definitely the good old days :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Another e MX bike coming out…

Only needs 3 phase power to use their charger that charges 80% of it in 45mins :rofl:

Fk me you would miss 3x 15m motos doing that let alone dump the non existent power grid at MX tracks. :laughing: It’s too much wheel horsepower anyway they’ll have to redesign tracks, yea maybe in 20 years time but not at $25K aud I won’t be rushing out to buy that shit.

Plus I need noise and fumes :v:

YESTERDAY AT ,6AM AT CANUNGRA FOR COFFEE AND THE ARVO AT JACOBS WELL…
THIS IS ITS LAST RIDE ITS UP FOR SALE ON THE WEEKEND.
THAT MEANS I WILL BE DOWN TO ONLY 4 BIKES (THERE COMING WITH ME TO THE STATES)AND THE MISSES ONLY HAS TWO. BOTH OF THOSE WILL BE SOLD
THE UP SIDE IF THE MOVE TO THE STATES GO,S PEAR SHAPE I WILL BE ALL CASHED UP TO BUY MORE.
BUT NOT AT THE PRICES I BOUGHT THE LAST 20 BIKES IN THE NINETIES AND Early TWENTIES .
COVID TOTALLY STUFFED UP CAR AND BIKE PRICES.
ITS LIKE EVERYONE IS SMOKING CRACK WHEN THEY COME UP WITH THE PRICES THEY WANT FOR THERE VEHICLE’S

4 Likes

Yeah, COVID sent used car and bike prices through the roof.

Pre COVID I bought a Hawkeye WRX for $13K… just after restrictions lifted I was told by a used car dealer it was a $20K car… now it’s realistically a $15K WRX.

Same with bikes. Unfortunately a lot of people are still in the same headspace post COVID with their idea of what things are worth.

3 Likes

Really pissed off… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ordered new exhaust studs express post for my Kwaka over 10 days ago from a Tassie supplier who’s never let me down and usually delivers overnight. They’re the only item holding back the build.

Didn’t receive them, now no way I can get onto them about it. Phone goes to voicemail with no leaving a message… four emails over four days gone unanswered.

Think I’ve thrown away $50 there. Time to source them somewhere else.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the parts is that z1 spares you bought them from?

The WRX is one cult car I have always wanted to own.
Been in a few one was a works car deceptively fast.
The other is an original WRX sti the blue with gold wheels.
It’s owned by the original owner she (yep an elderly woman) is 71 and still drives it every now and again.
In the first year of owner ship it got stolen three times.
Her son not long after joining the police force.
It was never stolen after that.
Never did find out how he achieved that.
That is the model I would own love the blue with gold wheels combo
The car in the pic is not her actual car it just a pic of what hers look like

2 Likes

I got to thrash a WRX STi around my farm. Flat to the boards, no holds barred. It overheated. It was fun.

3 Likes

Aren’t Overheating and head gasket failures a inbuilt standard strait from the factory for most Subarus.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Along with head stud failures

1 Like

Yes indeedy.

That’s a nice looking Blobeye… not a bad car for a 71 year old to be getting around in. :laughing:

A lot of people reckon the Hawkeye’s had the best looking fronts… but I do like the single grill models… look more Subie to me.

Mine’s not WRC blue with gold wheels. Wish it was, it’s a stunning colour. My Hawkeye’s all silver.

2 Likes

I have learnt something new today
WRX have different name’s :+1:

1 Like

TThe Meaneye is the most classic ScoobyDoo as far as my own tastes, probably due to the fact of my many years working in the WRC rounds here in WA, they are the old “classic” for me :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

The look on the team guys face :joy:

1 Like