Members Motorbike related Hobbies outside of Gelblaster appreciation

Haha I believe in if humans built it I can undo it. Put it back together… might take me awhile but I’ll get there.

Replaced the timing belt as that’s a thing and being second hand not 100% on last replacement. That was pretty easy, did the lot idler and tensioner. Apparently the rockers are designed to snap instead of bending valves when the belt goes.

Fucked the EGR off as that tends to crack heads and blocks when that fails dumping coolant into the cylinders, and got the ECU bypass for it. It’s alright and comfortable to haul the long k’s. Air conditioning is nice. Plus it’s got heaters. Drives nice, really stable.

Unlike my Defender where you had to fight it to get places. Thank fuk I sold that thing, I had a party when that left on a car trailer dead. Person bought it in NSW to drop a LS in it. I told him he was crazy the diffs and transfer etc would not stand it. But he was putting modded Dana diffs in it and 8LE(forget the rest of numbers) auto . The original driveline spat bearings and shit even though I over maintained it on the 300Tdi 2.5ltr motor. Good slow off road being coil sprung but that was it. Cab was too small, and talk about noisy. Fk me. Pig on fuel, 80ltr tank get about 400klms if I was lucky.

Still got my old rigs landcruiser and such for farm duty. Won’t give them up even though I’ve been offered.

OMG! I was conceding somewhat about your FORD ownership, making concessions about bad decisions that people make in life……… and NOW you tell me that you actually paid money for and owned a bloody Land Rover Defender? :flushed:

I’m in shock and don’t know how to process that information, other than to say that you must be a glutton for punishment, but that explains why you are still farming in spite of everything thrown at you! :joy:

My licensed shooter mate that I mentioned in another thread here also had a brain fart and paid $18k+ for a white Rand Lover Defender Wagon second hand.

He had nothing but trouble from day one, where he first rolled up to my workshop to show it off and brag about how awesome it was, which I could understand his excitement at the time, but I just sorta pulled the piss out of him and wished him good luck with his brand new purchase!

Sure enough he was back in my workshop driveway only a couple of days later with issues, and this occurred constantly on a monthly basis for the whole 2 years that he owned it :roll_eyes:

His best mate Bob at the Hot Rod Business kept telling him to fck off and take it to some other poor sap to get a migraine over trying to keep it running :joy:

Apparently I was an arsehole and should have taken my time out of building custom cars/hot rods to help him out with his pommy soccer mums taxi! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can appreciate the faults that they had being a modern European vehicle that was dumped into the Australian market without any upgrades or region specific modifications to suit our environment, but it wasn’t just the driveline/mechanical failures…… it was also rusting faster than a Chinese dog food tin sitting in Siberia!

Was only about 3 weeks ago that he called to proudly boast to me that he had just spent $7000 on mechanical/electrical/bodywork/rust/paint repairs to having just sold it for $9000.

I’m not the worlds best mathematician, but the original purchase price, plus 10 years of countless dollars just trying to keep the thing running and on the road, plus the money he spent to get it up to a sellable condition……… I reckon he had forked out over $50k on that vehicle over the years and yet was still a happy camper to be able to sell it botched up for $7000!

Sure thing that I’m old school and out of touch with such things, but I’m used to buying old classics for $1k-2k and selling them for $30-40k without touching them other than standard yearly servicing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gone off topic on another rant, but just wanted to give you the shits about owning a Land Rover Defender…… which should be a god given right in anyone’s books! :joy:

Well done for unburdening yourself of such a travesty and hopefully you are feeling much better for it both mentally and financially!

But according to this bloke, they were an awesome fuel efficient vehicle that he never had to touch/repair/spend a cent on his initial purchase…… until the excitement wore off and reality smashed him in the face with a sledgehammer! :flushed::joy:

It wasn’t my decision. I asked Dad to keep an eye out for a toyota 4wd landcruiser or hilux 4wd while he driving everyday trucking. And let me know.

He rang me out of the blue a month later, hey I’ve bought a 4wd. I said wtf. I said oh cool what model Landcruiser. He said Landrover, I said wtf are you deaf. First thing I said oh well do the doors shut properly at least. Dad said ahh well , yeah sort of. FML

Biggest box of shit ever for reliability, fit and finish. No cab room knees and back killing me after 20mins of driving. I hated it but went to town keeping it going for 11 years. Paid $5k for it and spent $20k in parts on it working on it every fucking couple of weeks was giving me the shits. I got other crap to do. It was an experience and did handle these shit roads I have better than most 4wds.

I couldn’t afford to resell it and swap to somebody elses problems so stuck with it. Parts were cheap. Fkn brake pads I’d chew through them without even using brakes no stop lights for miles around here, the rears were discs the dust and especially when it rained and mud would grind the pads to metal in a couple of hundred k’s. I’d buy 10 packs of rear brake pads. They were really easy to change, wheel off, 2 pins bang out, new in. Done.

The only thing I didn’t replace was the engine, diffs, gearbox. The rest got a heap of new shit.

The Ranger, yea I was a bit iffy, but damn Hiluxs with double the klms and fucked interior were $8k more. 2 and half years been going great so far. Done a few mods on it to make sure it doesn’t blow up. Time will tell. At least the doors shut and the air con works. Particular one was in exceptional condition.

(2) Facebook

1 Like

Wow, after reading this exchange I can see why Landcruisers and Hilux are so highly regarded… :joy:

I unfortunately have become a suburb dweller… lost the need to own a substantial 4X4 when we moved out of the hinterland and into populated areas for family reasons.

It may be the ultimate soccer mum’s car, but my Subie Forester does all I ask of it, and does it with aplomb. I’ll admit it has serious limitations but goes places a Commodore can’t. Although the hinterland redneck in me still thinks about lift kits and offroad upgrades for it… just to make it a little less soccer mumish :joy:

2 Likes

I believe every car built after 1980 was designed to be temporary (max 10 years).
Some fooled the designers and lasted the time and reliable (early land cruiser and mq diesel patrol).
There is no logic in building a car to last
as car manufacturers would go out of business.
As for maintenance most modern (1990-2023) people don’t even know how to change a tire let alone do an oil change.
Cars are now a disposable item
They don’t fix them if damaged just crush them and start again.

When was the last time you saw a wrecker or a panelbeaters shop.

Mate bought his wife a new MG car cost $22k. Two weeks later she hit her letter box (as women do).
Broke the head light slight ding in gard and scratched the mirror.
Yep they wrote it of .like WTF.
I have had a few lemons but I change my car’s like I do my bikes at least once every two years.
So mine don’t tend to break down
The most I pay is $4000.
It like a game to me let’s see what I can buy for that price.
Brand loyalty died for me in the eighties .
First time in 20plus years the wife bought a car with out asking me for advice
She bought a 2013 great wall turbo diesel 60k on the clock for $5000 for her 17 year old grand son to get his licence on and keep.
He is a mad fisherman and already owns a boat but no car to pull it with or licence.
All I said to her was why do you hate him.
I thought he was your favourite.

She is still giving me dirty looks and the car is still sitting in my driveway.
Devaluing my property.

Certainly true about throw-away vehicles these days :roll_eyes:
Made of the least amount of materials possible engineering wise, but is still a huge waste of time and resources that creates a massive environmental impact in my opinion.

There’s basically no such thing as Panel Beaters anymore, just panel replacement and paint repairers, which is why so many cars are so easily written off instead of just being straightened out like the good old days……… but this is a safety hazard thing, where any minor frame damage is enough to upset carefully designed and engineered crumple zones/sensor impact points etc.

Same thing with Wrecker’s these days, where they normally don’t stock any vehicles over 5 years old, as they have so many new wrecks coming in daily, they need to constantly turn out vehicles to make room for the latest/newest/most popular models to be able to charge top dollar for new/2nd hand car parts.

Doesn’t help that most major manufacturers don’t stock parts for their own vehicles 5 years or older either :roll_eyes:

I’ve never had a new car and never will, but that’s my personal preference in enjoying old classics more than anything :sunglasses:

People used to whinge about the old cars being thirsty and polluting the atmosphere, but that’s a crock of shite in reality!
My old 50’s-70’s Holdens/Fords used way less fuel than any other modern car that I have owned, and weighed much less than the heavy modern vehicles too.

My 1968 Fairlane that I built used to have people having a dig at being a big old loud petrol guzzler……… so I made sure to rub it in!
(Note number plates) ……. Maybe Thrifty one?:joy:

Even the missus’s XY we built, people would read the plates and say “that doesn’t look or sound very thrifty to me”!
How do they manage to get the word thrifty from the number plates :thinking:

Is actually a fuel injected 408 Cu.in./6.7 Litre, and not a 351 anymore anyways :joy:

3 Likes

Just because…
Incoming…!!

If harley ever make an electric bike, they will need to incorporate speakers, and the harley sound ( rpm equivalent dependent), and a "out of balance "shaker system…!!!

1 Like

The screen looks large enough, to be a small tablet…
People will hack it, and check social media , on the fly…!!
(until they crash…)

HD do make a range of electric for few years LiveWire ONE electric motorcycle | LiveWire United States

That, i did not know…

Hard to imagine a harley, without the shake, rattle and roll…

I know right, usually hear them coming for klms away with straight pipes thundering past.

Surprised it’s still being made. Wouldn’t think it’d sell well missing all the things you would buy a HD for.

they look “plasticy”…

Some obviously likes Tron…

Untitled

And, somebody has already gone there, and built one…

Untitled

1 Like

They’ll never sound as good as a Triumph triple with megaphone silencers on full throttle. :laughing:

True story… up at Rick’s Garage in Palmwoods I was once told I had the best sounding Harley ever… not bad for a Kwaka VN800 with homemade cans. :rofl:

It did have an amazing note though… must have got something right with that exhaust. :+1:

1 Like

I have always been a sceptic on electric cars and bikes.
BUT since getting an EBIKE and not getting any younger.
I am slowly coming around to the idea
I have ridden an electric motorcycle a few years back.
They were very heavy, short range ,butt ugly, about as much power as a 650cc. And cost then the equivalent of a new Hayabusa.
They have come a long way since then in power and looks ,range is still a factor.
For me I still love the mechanical sound of an engine
And a good sounding exhaust
Whether it be a car (V8, Subaru and yes even a rotary)
Or a motorcycle ( vtwin, thumping single or a large two-stroke on full noise just to name a few.
A lot of people I have ridden with listed to music when riding.
I prefer to listen to my bike
I even tried an intercom system but everyone would not shut up.
Not why I ride, peace and solitude is my thing.
I have embraced automatic motorcycle’s and the same in cars as I have been getting older.
Because changing up and down in gears around town is a pain .
It makes it harder to drink my beer while playing a game on my phone.
(Only kidding).
So I am still not ready to own an electric car or motorcycle.
BUT THE MAIN REASON I STILL OWN A LOUD CAR IS.
it drones out the excessive chattering of the wife

1 Like

This :point_up_2: :rofl:

I made the mistake of buying a voice activated helmet comlink setup once… drove me nuts with a motormouth on the back.

Funny how the batteries were always flat when we went on long blats. :laughing:

The feeling is same with electric vehicles. They certainly have their place and will as technology advances for the huge range problem.

But not in my heart.

Currently Sur Ron are selling quite well as a light off road bike heavy mountain bike and get good reviews after you spend thousands modding them with wheels and all sorts. They road register in Australia as a vehicle so all that will apply. Equivalent to a pit bike.
Stark Varg review well as a full size dirt bike and just started in some of the international supercross events(not the AMA though :laughing:) but hasn’t got the range to do motorcross. It has to be powered down as high setting it’s rated at 80hp, 450’s race in the 50-60hp range. No gears or clutch. No brain either needed to ride it.

2 wheelers are so efficient on fuel as it is.

What would I tinker with? No air filter to clean, no oil change, no fuel mixing, valve checking sparkplug etc. Just plug it in to a wall, adjust the chain maybe :person_shrugging: BORING.
No beautiful smell, no roar of a big bore as you crack the throttle or even the high revving shriek of a small bore seeing how quick you can melt a piston. No one fingering the clutch slipping it to get a sharp turn just right matched with the right revs.

Being quiet ebike would be good for CBD with their short range and slow top speed.

I’ll be sticking with my 2&4 bangers as long as I live. :v:

I went General Electric before anyone gave a fuck anyway https://youtu.be/M-0BRil5b8M?si=9bA-1BDyTa0obL5Z

:laughing: :fu: :rofl:

1 Like

There’s a video of guys hunting wild pigs with one of them.
Expensive way to do it but looked cool with tracer rounds.
I can see that bolted to the back of your ute .
Your just going to need to sell a lot more sheep to keep you in ammo

I’ve seen one with yanks minigunning pigs… was hilarious as they also used MP5’s, M16’s at night. I was told by some of my relatives spotlighting wasn’t allowed in US and not common. Must’ve been a cull permit thing, especially with brrt’s, or maybe it was just in Mehico. Pigs, or HAWGS are a problem there like they are becoming in the eastern states seeing as people can shoot less. The night shoot would have been expensive for sure :laughing:

That touches on my other question with gun restrictions and less access to firearms in Australia. Helicopter shoots are friggin useless in my area. Anything government organized is useless even the road is fucked. With a Bell helo and M14 over 2 weeks they got 3. I farkin shot 26 by myself with an old 3 -O and a Rem700 308 in 15 mins with a bucket of shit FJ55 Landcruiser. Made a nice goat stew as well :+1: Plus the gov made 10% gst off all consumables used in the process that I’ll claim back later :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Ha Ha…

Send the govt photos…and a bill !!!

Explain to them, that on a cost per carcass basis, it is more cost effective for them to pay you to do it!!

Say you’ll do if for, say 3/4 of the price, of a 2 week heli stint…!!

And, its still cheaper overall, per animal culled…don’t sell yourself short…!!

Also, start up “hunting tours”, where you can charge japanese tourists huge $$$ to have a “Crocodile Dundee Hunting Experience” in OZ…!!!

Sleeping in a tent, and showering in a creek, all adds to the realistic experience…!!!

I’m only half joking…they had a burst on sunrise this morn about the need to cull crocs…

Ive always said asian tourists would pay a bundle for “guided croc shoot tours”… permits to control numbers…then harvest the skin for their croc skin jackets / boots / handbags etc…

But, the greenies would wring their hands…" you cant kill those poor animals"…

Then, go home and have a roast lamb / roast beef/ roast chicken dinner…all good… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes