Should We Launch a Campaign To legalise airsoft in Australia?

This might sound a bit random, but we all know how much we want airsoft. Unfortunately, it’s illegal in Australia. What do you guys think about starting a GoFundMe to raise money to advocate for the legalization of airsoft in Australia? The funds could help take the matter to court, demonstrating to the government why and how this sport should be legalized. With proper regulations, airsoft is a safe sport that deserves to be allowed here.

What are your thoughts and is it even worth it?

3 Likes

definitely. I miss the BB guns I had when I was a teen

2 Likes

Honestly, we need to work on getting gel in other states, then we could work on Airsoft.
But unfortunately I have zero faith in the political system in this country ever getting anything positive changed, nanny state bs.

3 Likes

If enough of you are interested, I’ll get in touch with a lawyer to explore the best way to tackle this issue. Thanks for the support so far. I’ve already contacted the Premier of Queensland, who said this is a matter for Honourable Mark Ryan MP, the Minister for Police and Community Safety. He directed me to the Commissioner of the Queensland Police Service, Steve Gollschewski APM, but I’m still waiting for a reply from him.

he’s probably too busy playing with all the Airsofts confiscated over the years, I mean, I would :wink:

Don’t shoot the messenger but…

Totally agree with @RokSolid … Might sound negative, but seeing as how gelsoft has been systematically annihilated in every state in the country but South Australia (with draconian licencing requirements) and Queenland, I believe we’d have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting airsoft through the lawmakers and regulators.

I know that there’s bugger all physical difference between our gel blasters and airsoft markers… hard to understand why gelsoft is legal, but anything to do with airsoft isn’t. Believe it or not, there are advocates still lobbying for airsoft regularly… have a look at BlowBackIndustries on Youtube.

I see it like this… at the moment, in two states at least, we have a viable sport in gelsoft. Instead of upping the ante and pushing for airsoft, a smarter move would be to lobby for legalisation of gelsoft in those states in which it’s currently banned.

The public’s perception of our sport / hobby is negatively skewed by irresponsible media coverage as it is… I can just imagine what the media would do with airsoft and what the general public’s opinion of that would be.

I think a push for legal airsoft would put gelsoft right back in the firing line and possibly jeopardise the pretty tenuous status quo.

3 Likes

You’ve definitely raised some important points. I agree that pushing for airsoft legalization could be challenging, especially given the current situation surrounding gelsoft. However, do you think it’s possible to work on legalizing gelsoft in the remaining states while also gradually building a positive case for airsoft? There might be a strategic way to advance both without risking the progress we’ve made with gelsoft. What are your thoughts on finding a balance between the two?

Take New Zealand as an example

they have a strong airsoft community. If we made it mandatory to either join a club or obtain a firearms license, it could effectively prevent those with bad intentions from acquiring replicas. Being in a club would ensure that people are educated about the replicas, and if someone has a firearms license, they already have access to real firearms, making it less likely they would misuse a BB gun.

The only way we got to keep gel blasters in Queensland is thanks to the projectile not being a solid, and over a certain weight. This avoided it being classed as “shot, bullet, or other”. The “other” was argued successfully that it can’t just be anything.
Also being allowed to responsibly own a replica helps with the appearance.
So we luckily scraped between the rules and got to keep them.
Other states have more hurdles to overcome, either gel blaster not being allowed and or replicas, every state has different issues.

Western Australia faces problems from the police basically just not wanting them… which has been fought in court and won, but basically if won in supreme court, they will just change to laws to ban them. Hard position as a win would see them banned by law, and left as is at the moment see them banned by police rule. Either way we lose for now. Only hope is if the other side of politics is voted in, and agrees to make the legal in law, which is still grasping for threads.

As it currently stands, Queensland, and south Australia need to continue to be responsible and make a positive community to be the example other states could use to help their cause.

I know they aren’t “guns” they are blasters… But the lines and rules aren’t far apart, and Australia has been eroding gun laws to the point where even a replica that safety pews gelly balls for fun gets tarred with the same brush by the conservative general publican.

There is an old bag at my work that “hates guns” so even if I am bringing a bagged blaster to exchange with a mate I don’t hear the end of the carry on the whole time even though it stays in the bag and is merely changing hands. That friends, is the level of knobbery we have to argue against, and we are the niche sport and minority in that argument.

I hate to sound negative, but reality is harsh. And somehow, the voice needs to come from people living in states that don’t even know what they are missing out on.

4 Likes

I can only agree with you bud.
I have always stated I would much rather need a licence like in SA, than have them banned outright. That isn’t what we want, but it is a option that would likely have to be on the table for Airsoft, especially in Queensland as then it does fall into the “shot bullet or other” category.

The interesting conundrum in South Australia is, they would be allowed airsoft replicas, if they had a legal reason to own them. Such as an Airsoft field and club… Which they can’t start without people owning Airsoft replicas. It’s dead in the water unless both exist, which both currently can’t exist, as neither one exists.

4 Likes

Valid question and fully on board besides the part I have no money to donate as I am paying all living costs at the moment to keep head above water.

That being said, we need gel blasters legal as a hobby/sport in all states and a concurrent law through all states. I touched on this subject recently how all states laws are different and that is a problem that has stemmed from states can not and will not and never have agreed to a common legislation.

Until that can happen there is no chance. Sorry but it’s the truth.

To further add I was catching up on amendments to Queensland laws under the public safety act that recently went through. Lots of changes to the firearms subsections regarding prior convictions and if ever convicted of anything you get no licence at all. Written in law and passed now.

I want in on the action before i get old and I have been fawning over this shit since i was in high school.

Australia is a Joke, Even Japan has airsoft and guns are basically outlawed. What kind of country can’t trust there law abiding citizens with toy guns lol.

Watch the vids if you have not already seen them politicians having know idea what it even is.

1 Like

it’s been like that since port arthur really. i don’t think it’s a trust issue, it’s a control issue. they want all the control.

4 Likes

Yes I agree.

Copy and paste

All the mainstream media are priming the public to believe guns are evil and so are the people who use or are connected to them. I’ll give you one guess what they’re hoping to get the public support of, the Community Safety Bill 2024 and a National Firearm Registry with tough new National Gun Laws.

Katters reject the Community Safety Bill so of course out comes an article attacking them 🙄🤦‍♂️

This is my comment on the Courier Mail’s article:

Instead of joining the rest of the mainstream media in hyping up the public to suggest guns and everyone associated with them are evil in preparation for Labor’s Queensland Community Safety Bill 2024 and the new national gun register, how about you cover some of the concerns that people have with the Bill?

For example, under this Bill, if you’ve been caught with a joint and received no conviction recorded in Court, you can have a Firearms Prohibition Order placed on you which means that Police can search you, your vehicle and your private residence at any time of day or night and as many times as they see fit without a warrant for up to 10 years!

What’s worse is anyone with a FPO on them, won’t be able to live or attend a residence that is owned by a licensed firearm owner, which means rural employees will potentially lose their jobs and people can lose their accomodation!

Civil liberties Terry O’Gorman and even the Greens have concerns with it! Why aren’t you covering it and asking questions as to why this new Bill is the only legislation that overrules the Court system to potentially persecute someone for their “one off” no conviction record court outcome?

You can only get away with misleading the public for so long before they start waking up and I’m seeing many people wake up to your tricks nowadays…

3 Likes

mainstream media is a menace and is not a reliable, truthful source of information. just look at all the COVID fear mongering.

but I agree, as much as I’d love to see Airsoft back, definitely need to get gel soft legalised across-the-board first

3 Likes

I’ve seen it coming for years. Yes since port author they took 2 years to deliberate about that crap. Step by step bye bye nvm which gov in control.

It starts With Us if we don’t do anything nothing will happen what’s the first step?

this is what you get when you let Karens do policymaking.

Might be time to leave the country. HAHAHA

Honestly my wife and I aren’t far off that. The government and political system ruins this great country.

Rant mode off and back on topic.
I support any movement and cause for gel across the land, and secondly airsoft. I have donated, signed petitions, emailed and talked to police and members before; and I will happily do it again.

4 Likes