Thread to discuss and share knowledge between members who have interests in the Classic Car Community

A place to share interest in anything related to vehicles that members appreciate no matter what genre they fit into.

2 Likes

Awesome… :blush:

Let the fun begin… :wink:

The collection at it’s peak (plus three projects)

1977 Mercury Cougar Villager Brougham Station Wagon - sold
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible (428CJ Ram air - 1 of 33) - sold
1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (351C 4 speed) - sold
1969 Mercury Cougar Convertible
1968 Mercury Cougar XR7

also sold

2 x 1970 XR7 Mercury Cougar Coupe
1 x 69 Mercury Cougar Coupe

7 Likes

That’s a great effort on trying to corner the market with all the COUGARS available in Australia!

I have a mate trying to do the same thing with Ford Edsel’s :joy:

1 Like

My friend down the road had 7 Cougars also. There weren’t that many back in the mid 1990’s but a whole lot more came into the country in the 2000’s when the price of Mustangs sky rocketed.

The wagon was the only one I imported (2004) and the last one I purchased. The rest were already here and were RHD, although had to redo the engineering as they all had lousy conversions with heaps of bump steer

5 Likes

Why does that wagon remind me so much of Wally World and National Lampoon’s? :thinking:

Seriously, that wagon would be an amazing coastal cruiser. Beautiful! :clap:

1 Like

It was a great cruiser. Currently cruising the autobahns around Munich

1 Like

No joke that’s gootta be the National Lampoons Truckster! :joy: I read something a week ago warner bros pulled the 1 off truckster out of storage for a new film. Good I could do with some funny lunatic yanks for a laugh :rofl:

Posted before. My ex boss and still friend.

Sam Zullo’s HT Monaro (whichcar.com.au)

Dont Laugh…

My first car…which i kept, for years…
1974 L model superbug, 1600cc (image of similar, lifted from net), in mellow yellow…

I got it from a friend of Dads, a VW mechanic, in Maryborough.
It was Tidy.

The standing joke was, " i dont have to worry about getting a speeding ticket in it"…and that was pretty much true.

Learnt all about carby ice, in that car, in the rain…
And, lets not forget the front windscreen wipers, being pressurized , by the spare tyre in the front… :rofl: :rofl:
mine had the wrap around windscreen , as opposed to the flat windscreen.

We rebuilt the engine, in dads 4WD bus workshop, and it never missed a beat mechanically…

I wish i kept it, sold it for nothing, and good examples go north of 25k now…

But, driving without aircond, would be suicide in QLD summers now…!!

Always wanted to get a VW beach buggy, as well…!!

It eventually got replaced, 2001, by a 98 twin turbo toyota supra…personal import from Japan…

I made up for lost “cool points” , then…
( and speeding tickets!!)

2 Likes

This is my VW from 1980. Had aircraft spec 1776cc engine (father-in-law built engines for home built aircraft) that was as fast as V8 Torana until 80mph. Used to scare quite a few on the freeway to Penrith

Have a soft spot for air cooled horizontally opposed stuff. Tried to import one of these but couldn’t get an export licence

2 Likes

People did, all kids of weird, to volkswagens…

I had ( maybe still have) a book, about the history of VW…

A whole city , was built , around VW manufacture…Wolfsberg.?

One photo, showed all the citizens, of the town, crowding the freeway into the city…

Ulitmately, All thanks, to hitler… :anguished: peoples car…

Aircraft spec would have been very interesting indeed!

We had many Dak Daks over the years that we chopped up into SWB beach buggies and shooting bush badgers.

Mates missus had a Carrera Bug back in the mid 90’s that we found and fitted a rare old vintage NORMAN Supercharger kit onto it…… which was a bit of a waste of time considering it seemed to take more horsepower to operate it than any power it actually put into the engine, but then again was a bog stock motor anyway :roll_eyes:

Spent some time flogging BAJA Bugs up in Lancelin Sand Dunes and flat out along northwest beach stretches and got to ride in a few decent Autocross beasts with injected 2ltr Ford inline fours.

There’s a pretty insane VW Club here in Perth who I used to run into at the Kwinana Motorplex when I was running our Drag Car Team.

This mob were insanely involved in fitting modern Subaru and Porsche flat 4’s & 6’s into Beetles and Kombi’s :flushed:

Awesome stuff to watch down the strip!

1 Like

I did a private import, of a toyota supra…around 2001…

Imported from Japan, i had a buyers agent, find me one , at auction…

A 1998 Model, manual, twin turbo , supra…

It took awhile…when i got it, it stank, of cigarette smoke, took a long time to get rid of it…

I ultimately sold it, several years later…

I was concerned, about lack of parts, locally…and, if sold it, So i could get my Ducati 1098…

Once again, I wish i kept it…I sold it for 30k…they are worth, so much more now…

It was darker red, had a whale tail…toyota side skirt kit… and looked like this…

RWD, I had stage 1 mods done here…
It had good straightline power, but showed its weight around corners…
(image from net…)

The japanese models had ceramic turbos…
Quick to spool up, but overboost= quick fail…

3 Likes

Nice Rice burner…… but it’s making me think that I’m going to be the odd one out here with my taste in dinosaur classics! :joy:

BTW…… being a Jap Import, did you have the luxury of the 100kph warning buzzer screeching in your ear with that particular car?

I almost bought a WRX…
Glad i didnt…

I loved my time with it…“cheapo porsche performance, in a sick looking car”
It still has classic, smooth lines, to this day…

I just need to my my duke 1098, up to the coast…its performace blows the supra out of the water…

When i first got it… it had the 180 km/h electronic speed limiter installed…

I wont say say if i had it disabled…but…
apparently… it cut out ignition…
But, what do i know.?.?

Believe it or not, my most desirable and respected vehicle that I have always admired and would own in a heartbeat is a NISSAN GTR !

Followed them closely since the very first R32 model and every single one released since.

Have had the privilege of driving the R32/R33/R34’s, both in stock and fully modified versions…… and holy shit…… nothing else has ever come close as a performance driver vehicle.

I even had the opportunity at the Hot Rod business that I worked at to shoehorn the full GTR Engine/Gearbox into an old 1958 FC Holden Sedan for a customer!

I will try and find some pics to post here, but won’t get into the details of all the custom work that we had to do on this big dollar project……. It could take a whole novel length post to cover everything! :joy:

1 Like

This is a funny Dad story…from decades ago…

He , in his youth, was a bit of a hooligan ( who’d have guessed…!)

The Police, in A small country town, would pull up, and park their car, next to a chain wire fence…

Dad, and his mates, would , under cover of night…sneak up , and chain the bullbar, to the fence…

Then, they would , roar past , on their unmuffled motorbikes…!!
The police would rush to give chase,… back out…and pull the fence down…!

Im not joking…

so much better, than the youth crime happening, nowadays…!!

I’ll admit…
Godzilla kills the supra…

In all their incantations, they are a superior beast, and more tuneable…

Weren’t they banned from aussie racing, for awhile, in the 90’s, because they were superior.? to the cars at bathurst…

Anyway, still glad i had my supra…!!
The prices are still sky high…!