Thread to discuss and share knowledge between members who have interests in the Classic Car Community

No it was the Ford Cosworth Sierra’s that got banned from Australian Touring Cars because of cheating and non compliance with the actual rules when challenged.

The Skylines certainly pushed the boundaries and were very successful, but in a different time period and the NISSAN Team always played by the rules and were highly respected…… unlike the Ford Motor Company cheating :joy:

Ford cheating…is like saying, trump lying…

wrong…!!!

Fake news, bad press , im a victim… i have the biggest, fastest car etc…
We should go back to , classic cars, at some point…!!

I am going to try and restrain myself here and only post a couple of pics of the GTR Skyline powered 1958 FC Holden.

I might gradually post a few more pics and technical details in the future, but here’s a simple example of midway through the start of the body mods and engine placement.

There’s thousands of hours and many months worth of work just to get to this stage…….

And here’s an early pic of being able to finally simply sit the engine into the engine bay after hundreds of hours of chassis/engine/firewall modifications.

I will share more details in time, and can guarantee that the end result is a big multiple award winning custom vehicle!

4 Likes

older photo of my saab which i have a love and hate relationship with. Does it run? Yes, does it move? nope. Slowly making progress :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bit of cancer creeping in there as well :frowning:
Best get her treated while there’s still something left to restore! :sunglasses:

bit of an older photo, looks somewhat better now but certainly still needs work

1 Like

Jeez, I wish I had that kind of talent. I’ve done my share of patchwork over the years, but proper metal shaping is like witchcraft in comparison.

With 20-odd '54-'62 Fords in the family plus the 3 FCs and my Lincoln it’s a skill I should probably have :rofl:

1 Like

My first car was a valiant PACER exactly the same as the one in the picture.
I was still in high school
Got my licence in it

FB_IMG_1691774841361

2 Likes

Nothin’ wrong with a WRX…

My 2006 Hawkeye… the model most Subie fans consider the best if the bunch. :+1:

1 Like

Oh hell no. Guess what my first car was. A orange Type III notch back with the 1600 twin carb.

I spent 10k rebuilding it to try make it go and gave up and bought a commodore ute :rofl:

Wicked chick magnet, dozens of broken relationships later. I even got told off by a Crows cheerleader as I was spending too much time fixing the damn thing rebuilding the motor yet again. That one didn’t work out but the Volksy did :joy:

1 Like

Get the fk outta town. Wholly moly. When those GTR R32 came out I was on the way home from work and a dropkick lit a 4w burnout at gepps x, made me look.

I was more interested in the engineering that the Aussie race teams had to do to get them around Bathurst. They were that good they banned them and added more wieght and dialed the boost down.

Hats off to Peter Perfect though, he still stuck it to them in a Commy. My favourite was the VK with fat flares and red and white Malboro plastered all over it. Looked so hot :+1:

Nice. One of the old guys I hang out with is also a hot rod builder with a love for FC’s. His daily is an FC ute built on 3800 VP commodore running gear. He has built a 350 powered two door FC special wagon and a 350 powered FC special sedan. Think he’d built 20+ FCs for himself and other people. He’s currently working on a 48 Buick before he starts on his last FC wagon, which will be “traditional” red motor with lots of rare bits like X2 manifold and carbs, with a/c, HR p/s, 4 wheel disk brakes, etc cause we’re all getting too old for this stuff

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth… :laughing:

I keep getting bollocked out by my mates because the only things holding up getting my bike on the road are 8 exhaust nuts, an oil fill and a battery charge. :roll_eyes:

It does mean rolling around on the concrete for 15 minutes and I’m suffering from a severe case of the CBFs at the moment… I’ll put that down to age. :laughing:

1 Like

I will share some more pics and details of this FC Custom built, as has a shitonne of metal work and subtle modifications that aren’t easy to recognise or really obvious to see.

The owner of this build was surprisingly an older gentleman in his late 60’s and had owned this vehicle since new.

It was parked up in a shed when he was much younger in the late 1970’s when he bought the first model Commodore as a “modern” upgrade which had more creature comforts.

This FC actually has a VT Commodore floor plan grafted into it to allow for his request for the factory Statesman Electric Seats and rear semi bucket seat to be custom retrimmed and fitted…… as well as to allow room for the much larger GTR Gearbox floor tunnel mods :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh shit it’s not just me then :rofl:

I did buy a stand for my bike, foot pump jobby from MXstore oz . It works a treat. I think there’s something wrong with the owner. Blocked pilot jet and still haven’t fixed it :laughing:

Took a month to get a genuine Keihin pilot jet from Japan instead of those chinese knock offs on flea bay.

Those 3.8 V6 series 2 are the bom dot com. Been driving that model religiously for 28 years and I can not kill em. I’ve tried trust me I aint the flashest in the shed 500k still hammers.

Still got a last model VN berlina bun with the series 2 VP motor in it collecting rust. Wrote a VP ute off and own two power poles on cavan road being a dickhead. Vs series 3 ute is loaned to my mate that is getting done over by his ex mrs tart.

Awesome vehicles swore by them for half my life.

Have had a long list of VR-VX Commonwhores over the years and have all served me well.

Some I was given for free, some cost me $300-$600 and the best was a $6000 VX Executive Wagon with the Gen3 V8 and heavy duty tow package that I got from a farmer friends wife.

Still have a VT V6 Auto sitting here that still runs and drives, but needs a head gasket, so I just parked it up and bought another one for $200 :joy:

I have a complete spare engine/gearbox that will drop straight into this sitting on a pallet, so I might just drop that in instead of working on the engine that’s already in it :thinking:

That’s usually the cheaper option. I got a whole engine trans sitting in the shed for same reasons. I had trouble one time ignition was cutting out. Took to a mechanik and he said it was the crank angle sensor, replaced that with new, $150 later and it fucked up again on way home.

I rang him, he said I dunno. I did a bit of thinking, thought well it’s not the crank angle sensor, can’t be the coil packs as I put new ones on 6 months prior. Hmm what about the DFI module, one way to try that whip the one off the spare in the shed and try that. Bobs your uncle, fixed :+1:

You ever had to play with those 3.6L V6’s , heard bad things about them. But a mate has one and it’s been fine just racked up 430k :thinking:

The Coil Packs in the later V6’s were a very common problem, something that never happened on the early Buick or VT model V6’s.

I absolutely hate Commonwhores and yet love them at the same time, if that makes sense?

The one I still have kept pictured above only cost me $600, drove it for 8 years without touching it other than putting tyres on it, is lowered, nice mags, sports exhaust, double DIN kick arse stereo, extremely comfortable interior with all the modern features, goes like stink, handles like a dream and can pull a car trailer without any issues :joy:

Pretty much ticks all the boxes for what anyone wants out of a vehicle :+1:

1 Like

Yea I tried a Volksy for a first car and spent thousands on it, said fk this and bought a year old VP commodore and the rest is history.

Currently running a 1999 VS series 3 ute which has the VT Ecotec motor in it. 5 speed getrag box. I was thinking of slipping in a 304 V2 roller rocker V8 but the 260 getrag won’t handle it. Ah fk it goes like a V8 anyway. Maintenance items like air, oil filters, brakes etc are so damn cheap. Suits me fine :+1:

Plus I can get my Bogan on :rofl: