TV & Movies

Easily the best thing ever done for tv.* So well cast and written, and the interviews with the actual guys is awesome.

*Except for maybe The Simpons…

1 Like

Oh god the interviews are fantastic. I skip the intro every time, but I wouldn’t dare skip a second of those. Hearing the perspectives from the guys who were there is honestly one of the most humbling, yet understated parts of the show.

2 Likes

Yep nothing like hearing it from the people who were there.
From what I understand, it’s all pretty much the truth, too.
Like; hard to compress all “that” into 10 episodes, but everything in the show happened (give or take), and some is doctrine, eg Winters assault on fixed position (Crossroads I think is the ep) is still taught, apparently.

Edit Day of Days is the ep…

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I have to really take my hat off to Ambrose for being such a stringent journalist, getting such an accurate representation of the story paid off in spades for the production of the series. That mixed with the amazing acting from Damien Lewis really sells just how such an assault becomes text book. He plays a very convincing officer.

The only error in the Normandy record keeping that has come out in the past 80 years was that Blithe survived Carentan, last I had checked.

2 Likes

Yeah cant escape a bit of licence here and there…

Lewis is awesome.
They all are… Like the script was written for the cast…
I read they all did a few MONTHS of basic military training, which is cool. And I think shows (not that I have any such experience)…
My fav ep is Bastogne. They spent a lot of money to make it as realistic as possible, and fuck me I’m glad I’ve never experienced even a fake version…

2 Likes

After watching BOB (and the Pacific - not as well cast, imo) I always wished Hanks/Speilberg had thrown some money and BOB vision into a Gallipoli version…

1 Like

But what about the 2015 TV series? It’s not quite Spielberg/Hanks good, but it’s a modern, high budget take on it all, and I reckon it’s half decent. I’d put it on the same footing as The Pacific at least.

1 Like

Hmmm honestly haven’t heard of it!
In my defense, I gave up on tv years ago, and only got into streaming like 4-5 years ago…
What’s it called?

1 Like

Enjoy your week :rofl:

1 Like

Cool cheers yeah never heard if it! Still like the old movie., so this will be interesting…

1 Like

The only one thing that ruined BOB for me was watching the “making of” episode from my box set.
NEVER DO IT!
It takes much away from the brilliance of the series when you find out exactly how, what and where the filming was done :frowning:

I only watched it as I wanted to digest everything that was included in the box set and was hungry for more…… but watching that was a big mistake that ruined much of what I loved watching the whole series hundreds of times over :cry:

1 Like

Another good true story that is meant to be spot on to actual events the outpost. Also there is a doco can’t remember if Stan or netflix but it’s called medal of honor about 10 episodes and one of them features the guy who received it from this event.

2 Likes

Highly reccoment this. Its a slow movie, but a good one

That is a good one I thoroughly enjoyed :+1:

Can I mention the only other movie that I have bothered to see in the past 10 years…. and again, not in cinemas or on whatever streaming channels out there…… I had to search for it on my bloody Samsung Tablet and download to watch it for my one and only time that I was staying somewhere with free WiFi! :flushed::joy:

1 Like

I have a very precise list of my personal favourite war movies, which will be pretty different from anyone else considering that I haven’t television or internet channel streaming for over 15 years, nor been to a cinema since the 1990’s :flushed:

My favourites in order below.

The Dam Buster’s.
The Eagles Nest.
The Battle of Britain.
The Great Escape.
Kelly’s Heroes.
Gallipoli.
Breaker Morant.
Band of Brothers.
Saving Private Ryan.
Apocalypse Now.
Full Metal Jacket.
Platoon.
Fury.
Hamburger Hill.
Beneath Hill 60.
Danger Close.
We were soldiers.

Pearl Harbour was a fkn joke :roll_eyes:
Concentrated more on a sooky love story more than a historically accurate war story :rage:

Probably a few more…… but that’s all that I can remember for now considering a bloke that has no television or streaming services, lives in the bush and never sees new releases or online movie series :flushed::joy::+1:

5 Likes

@DocBob no top gun? Surely that has to be on there.

Not that different from mine, although Tora, Tora, Tora and the original Midway would be im there somewhere too

1 Like

We were Soldiers was epic, loved it :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Definitely not…… way to wanky American bullshit for my liking :roll_eyes:
Same as Pearl Harbour……. Coulda been a great movie if it wasn’t for the pretty and polished characters that was all just a soppy love story instead of a gritty war chronicle. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like