UZI SMG Cap Gun / Gel Conversion

The task is to investigate the possibility of converting a diecast UZI SMG cap gun into a functioning gel blaster. This is a collaboration build with BME.

The UZI Cap Gun

This is a very high quality Spanish made representation of an UZI SMG, die cast clam shell construction, nicely detailed and a surprsingly faithful replica. The casting is quite solid, about 1.2mm in thickness, the shell is in three pieces i.e. left and right sides, separate top cap. With support posts and other pieces dremelled out the right gearbox could be made to fit.

At first glance, a gearbox from a BF MAC-10 seems like a possible option. The box however won’t fit into the UZI receiver, the maximum height it will accept is 40mm, the MAC-10 box height is 52mm… which is unfortunate, it would be possible to remove the grip and trigger mech from the UZI receiver completely and graft on the grip and trigger from the MAC-10. They’re very similar in size and appearance and would also solve the problem of mag location and retention, so that might be an option no matter what box goes in.

The next possible candidate is a Gel Fight CZ WZ61 Scorpion… same issues with height, however… the CZ box height is shorter than the MAC-10 at 48mm, 4mm shorter but still 8mm too tall to fit the UZI so not suitable.

I don’t have access to a LeHui MP9 or a MAC-11 (@BME I know you do) but they could be possible candidates due to their slim profiles. Another possible option could be to raise the height of the top cap by 12mm to allow more headroom and run with the MAC-10 gear… that would automatically solve a lot of issues, but would change the appearance.

Yet another option could be to rework the bottom of the shell by losing this area and freeing up some space. Then the top cap would only have to be raised minimally if at all.

The good news is that when we find a box that fits, holding the shell together with so many screws eliminated won’t be a problem. A tube over the barrel would secure the front, the top cap could be modified to act as a clamping item and the rear centre screw would most likely be retained. That only leaves the grip area, which is likely to be removed and replaced with a MAC-10 grip.

More to follow.

And, were off and racing… :smiley: :smiley:

I can provide the Mp-9, and the mac-11, for a look.

Mac-11 would be “interesting”…high ROF / High FPS/ Co2 in the mag, gearbox would be small.

But, i would be scrapping a (more expensive) Mac-11.
Mp-9 gearboxes can be bought from ihobby, which would also be good if you wanna do a 2nd one, for yourself.

Happy to provide the blasters , xforce is shut 2morrow…where / when do you wanna meet.?

Also, i have an old mp7, which could donate a gearbox…
That looks a narrower profile…

Mind you, the mp9 is tiny…I’m sure that’ll fit…

I’d say if the MP7 box fits the MP9 is a definite fit.

I’m liking the idea of a MAC-10 grip on it though. Next time we get together I’ll show you how it solves so many potential issues, but ultimately it’s your build and your decision in the end.

But it’s definitely looking more like something we can get up and running for you, BME. :+1:

Tomorrow’s no good for me anyway, got a lot to do. We’ll get in a meet up inbetween sky jockey runs in the next couple of days though. :sunglasses:

Cool…had to run down the coast this morning…maint work at investment property…so i missed out on a pristine jetski day…!!

2morrow morning also looks good though…maybe warm enough, to snorkel at the tanga wrecks…!!

Keep in touch.!

That’s awesome. I’m hoping to find the old tec 9 toy I had as a kid, was full size I believe but made of a plastic of sorts, been a very long time so couldn’t say for sure.

if I can find it, I’d be happy to donate it for a future project with no expectation of return, happy to let youse keep it just to see a tek 9 gel blaster in Aus. Hopefully it’s still in the oldies shed

1 Like

I’ve been after a tec-9, for ages…
Maybe, one day, here in OZ…

Anything “classic” would be popular, im sure…

Uzi, tec-9, Robocop Auto-9, luger etc…
the list goes on.

2 Likes

yeah I definitely would like one for myself at some point in the future, but as I said, happy to donate the one I had as a kid if I can find it to help get the gel ball rolling, to scan/copy for 3D print purposes n to test whether it’s possible to convert, whatever needs to be done to make it happen, I’m fairly sure the one I had would be another perfect candidate aside from not being metal

Wouldn’t be hard to knock a shell up out of tube. Easy really.

No I haven’t got time at the moment for such things. Wish I could but got a business to run :frowning_face:

@Friendly_Fire thanks for the pics, I wanna play too but alas duty calls and negates me from putting my craft to work.

Great project going on there, up my alley too. Following with keen interest and p0rn.

I wonder if something like this BINGFENG VZ61 would be a suitable candidate for the gearbox etc given its small size, I haven’t seen one in person and couldn’t say for sure, but it appears small enough to accommodate your needs.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Type: Automatic / Battery Operated

Firing Mode: Semi / Full-Auto

Material: High Quality Nylon ABS Construction

(use XT head battery type)

Metal Gears

Metal Chamber

as a noob I have no idea :roll_eyes: but I think it could be a possibility, you guys would know better than me, but seen it and thought of this project so figured I’d share

1 Like

I have a VZ61… tried the box yesterday and not even close to fitting. :thinking:

No biggie… there’s always a way. :+1:

1 Like

Certainly not much room for options but I have no doubt you lads will get something in there that works.

2 Likes

I am more brain f@#ked than I thought from my real estate drama, i checked to see if you’d used one, dunno how the f@#k I missed that :roll_eyes:. but there I go again making an ass of myself :man_facepalming:t2:

Don’t sweat it, matey… all good :wink:

Good to see you getting involved in the discussion. All points of view, suggestions, constructive criticism and input are always welcome and greatly appreciated. :+1:

Micro UZI cap I still have. Plastic.

2 Likes

C’mon, man… you just know you should be shoehorning a little gearbox into that puppy… if only for shits’n’gigs :joy:

Then again you can buy those micro UZI gel blasters. :wink:

but where’s the satisfaction in buying one if you were capable of converting it yourself? :wink::joy:

aside from the obvious satisfaction of course

I’m sure you blokes will be quite satisfied with your efforts once youse get that uzi going

It’s looking like an MP9 is the most likely donor for a suitable box for the UZI.

Still lots of issues to consider like mag placement and retention, battery storage, etc but with minimal shell modification like losing the circled section below it just might work.

The best part is the gearbox, t piece and barrel are unitised like a Gen 8, so airseal integrity is easy to maintain.

The fire selector in front of the trigger is very much like a Le Hui AUG, safe, semi and auto as you move the crossbar left to right. It may be a very cool function we could rejig to retain.

Dremel time tomorrow… you can’t make an omlette without breaking eggs. :wink:

3 Likes

Break some eggs, I ordered omlette. :laughing: :+1:

Despicable Me Kiss GIF by Minions

Just trial fit… the MP9 box will physically fit into the UZI shell. :sunglasses: here’s the box and mag sitting over the shell.

Kinda makes me feel like riverdancing…

Hopefully the barrel offset will allow it to line up okay, and then it’s figuring out how to actuate the trigger trolley and fire select. :man_shrugging:

One step closer, at least.

:+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like