Real Steel Thread

I wouldn’t say UK raped the design of the ZB33 for their Bren gun as they actually licensed it in the 1930’s from Czech after performing trials.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I love the ZB26 and every single version designed and manufactured by the Czechoslovak Armament Designers.

They were so fkn awesome, everyone from the Nazi’s, USA, Britain, Japanese and everyone in between realised their brilliant design and made their own versions stolen from the original concept of the ZB26 LMG.

You know when you are onto a good thing when the rest of the world military steals your designs and reproduces it for their own manufacturing!

Pretty much the same as the Americans stealing the design of the MG42 and developing their own LMG weapons that are still produced until this very day :flushed:

1 Like

Another personal favourite of mine is the iconic Lewis LMG.

Would be so awesome if a Gelblaster Manufacturer made a replica of such another well loved model :sunglasses:

We have seen the Thompson MG replicated, along with a small number of other iconic pieces such as the M249, German MP40, Russian PPSH etc…….but there’s still a long list of very important historical weapons that could be released onto the market that would sell like hotcakes if done properly :ok_hand:

It was actually the Czechs made the ZB33 in .303 for the Brits in the 30’s. The brits didn’t do much to it besides simplify for mass production in the MK2 once war kicked off. Uk just mass produced the then renamed to Bren, started production in Canada and Australia to spread the production base in case the Enfield factory in England got bombed.

Interesting stuff :+1:

Václav Holek designed it in 1924 and became such a success that the Czech Republic Government took his model and ran with it :sunglasses:

Certainly was copied by the USA/British and Japanese to create their own designs, and the mighty Bren Gun is the classic example of stealing a design and making it more suitable for their own military needs.

The Japanese type 97 was a very weird but useful copy of the original ZB design, but in practice, probably the worst of anything else that was reproduced. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

But that’s what I’m saying the British did not steal it. The Czech made it for the brits and the brits made it under licence as the Bren for mass production. The Bren is not a british design. It is the ZB26 rechambered by the Czechs to .303 and model ZB33.

BRnoENfield.

When Czech got captured by Germans had them make the ZB26 in 7.92 for the Germans.

Interestingly the ZB26 is a copy of the French Chatellerault FM 24/29 so say some sources :face_with_monocle:

The Japs did definitely copy captured Czech ZB26 from China’s national revolutionary army for their type 97 development.

I’m unsure what the Americans copied off the ZB26 as they had no top mag fed light machinegun I know of.

And the plot thickens :rofl: Seems the french one copied some bits off the American BAR :laughing: Chatellerault FM 24/29 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games (imfdb.org)

Cheers for the information :+1:
Yeah the term “stealing” probably wasn’t the best word to use in this description, except for the Japanese though!

The US copied the MG42 design, not so much the ZB26, and obviously the whole early development of light/heavy machine guns and SMG’s had everyone “borrowing” certain ideas and features from each other :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just for you, @docbob

Found this photo on the web, a/soft ZB26 with a real bipod fitted…
Looks good, with worn real wood…

We should start a campaign, at WAT, to bring some real wood / metal ones in…

The recent exercise, proves they will sell, even at that price point…

And, the best reason of all…drop it on @deadsquids head…!!

1 Like

If you could fit an AK mag in it it would look like a bren.
Or better yet some one bring out a bren.
I can buy a real bren in the states for around 4k

Never knew they made an Airsoft version, but looks awesome with the aged metal and timber :ok_hand:

I was quite surprised with the amount of metal parts when I pulled down my ZB26, which was unexpected but certainly made them a pretty solid unit :+1:

1 Like

The problem with owning a real bren is the cost of rounds
Mag takes 30
30 rounds of 303 cost $35
Rate of fire is around 500 rounds a min.
I would still own one though

Cheap compared to a Barrett
Last time I fired one in the states it was $5.us a round
Now it’s $10

Last time I went shooting with my son in the states.
We used over $600 in rounds
Which was not bad
That was a variety of
9mm
50bmg
Shotgun
And a shit load of 7.62

2 Likes

It was interesting did a lot of reading and research last night found out a lot I didn’t know.

I came across a bit where China were armed with American made BAR’s during their indo china war. French had American clothing and M1 carbines and Thompsons BAR for some other war, all sorts of interesting stuff. I had to stop it was getting out of hand :rofl:

Grandpa always spoke highly of the Bren he used in Bouganville. Few gory good stories there.

1 Like

Certainly a lot of history out there, much of which very few people know about.
The one thing that hitt me as the most interesting was the fact that the US Forces joined up with the Japanese soldiers after the official end of WW2 to clean up the remaining Japanese defenders in some smaller Pacific islands/regions that were still fighting.

Hard to imagine the US Military gathering large groups of captured Japanese soldiers and giving them weapons to help them clear out remaining Japanese defenders :flushed:

My old man is a big fan of both the Owen and his first SLR during his time in service, which he still talks about to this day.

My Grandfathers who served WW1/2 didn’t really discuss too much of their experiences, but my grandfather on my dad’s side was RAN and spent most of his time as a Bofors Gunner and Torpedo man, so didn’t really have to much exposure with small arms weapons during his career.

2 Likes

Friend had an ex-Vietnam M1 carbine that apparently was US issue, then French Indo China, then captured VC, then ARVN. He got it from an ARVN but the US historic docs, claimed as captured souvenir. Had a whole bunch of stamps on the stock. Think he said it was WWII re-manufacture but issued Fench after war

2 Likes

And, viola…

Currently out of stock though…

This one is limited edition, but out of stock as well…

Finland to open more shooting ranges amid Russia threat (msn.com)

Sounds like a good plan :+1: Take note Gov… in my dreams pfft

3 Likes

Finland’s always had good policies when it comes to their private citizens and gun ownership. Obviously see the benefit of having a pool of militia at hand when your neighbour’s Russia… and they haven’t forgotten the Winter War in '39.

I 'd hate to attempt an invasion on Finnish soil. If Putin thinks Ukraine’s a tough nut to crack, wait until he aims his sights at Helsinki.

3 Likes

Someone was talking about the Australian Automatic Arms Leader the other day and I was reminiscing about the Australian take on the AR180 and how I shot a rare 9mm pistol version registered as a pistol after and to survive the Howard ban.

The owner said it was registered as a rifle, but took the stock in to the buy back and they ok’d it to be re registered as a pistol. Was hell fun taking Colt smg/modified Uzi mags.

AAA was bought by the Aus gov to shut it down to comply with UN resolution of no country should have independent firearms manufacturers. At that time. I see that doesn’t matter now as there are several firearms manufacturers in Australia now.

2 Likes

Cool how the Honey Badger has evolved. 8.6mm Blackout even. Talk about CQB thumper wooee

Pity that the Gelblaster version of the HB has a poor performance/reliability reputation compared with the real life weapon that it replicates :worried: