Real Steel Thread

Yeah, and that’s a shame… It’s a nice platform.

There is just something satisfying, watching these resto vids…

3 Likes

Interesting, see if it gets military sales. Won’t fly on US civilian market besides a few thousand collector sales.

jeebus … another AR

bonuschars

I’m trying to work out whether the AR popularity is based on efficiency of design or just oversaturation in the marketplace. :person_shrugging:

Plenty of stuff on Youtube highlighting AR popularity in the USA being based on it being so readily identifiable as the US military’s weapon of choice, so lots of wannabe soldier’s buying them and using them as hunting rifles. :roll_eyes:

Also plenty of stuff on there pointing out how unsuitable it is for a lot of applications, home defence being one of them.

dont get me wrong … the M4 is my dream gat. if we had any kind of of freedom here, i would definately buy an AR carbine, but something close to basic issue - like this Bushmaster

$1004USD delivered in the USA. We’re forced to pay more than that for a high-end AR GBBR.

lol - an AR for home defense?? hell no. Not that home defence is a thing here, but if so, only one way to go imho - these babies:

Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite 12G 2-3/4" Slug/3xOO Buck

I have no idea why these rounds are even marketed in AU, but I bought some to test and they’re pretty damn good at short range. Blasted an old drum at about 6m and performs as advertised. Nice 3-way split on the slug with a ~8" spread around on the 00’s.

This one for me… never been an AR fan.

Classed as a pistol in the states… less hassle.

These days I think the AR market has every aftermarket part you could think of. They are cheap decent PSA can be had for sub $500usd, they are light. Driver controls are easy to use.

Unlike a H&K for example you can’t reach the mag release unless you offhand it and or remove your hand from pistol grip.

AR’s have plusses and minuses, buffer tube, but they have folding adapters and things for that these days, piston etc. Height over bore. Charging, but there are other options for that too. You can tailor the AR platform to whatever you want and on the cheap. No other rifle can do that.

With the Beretta for example they have kept the ergonomics of the AR but changed everything, all proprietary including the trigger. Why I’m not sure, but maybe the Italian military isn’t happy with the ARX or one of the many users of the ARX160. They must see a market for it somewhere or they wouldn’t bother. ARX160 is bulky looking and on the heavy side.

2 Likes

Garand Thumb just did a PSA AR longevity test well. Super interesting and well worth a watch.

Totally agree that it’s pretty hard to beat a shotty for “home defence”, as they are definitely extremely “accurate” when you or the missus are in a high stress/difficult situation, the old “point and shoot” is a much more effective weapon than a rifle or pistol.

Those big slugs are a bit overboard for home defence though, with 00 being the favourite for most users for this type of scenario as being plenty powerful enough to stop anything in its tracks!

1 Like

No 2. shot would be a strong choice too. My loadout infact would be first round PDX, followed by 5 x No2.s.

Meh … not that it matters here. I dont think you could keep a fly swat here, if your intention for it was self defence.

i think the purpose of the single slug and 3 x 00s is to prevent a wider blast from an regular SG round.

… or it could just be a gimmick!

These should be made legal here for home self defence… especially with what’s going on.

Shoot a couple of pepper balls into the room, shut the door,and go back to watching Netflix while your machete weilding home invader runs off up the street choking on the shit.

Lol - alas your only rights are to yell for help, fight with your fists or run. As far as I know, you cannot have anything for the purpose of self defence.

Apparently the police are reviewing their policies on acceptable levels of personal self defence in your home.

Read somewhere in a news article that you can now take “reasonable” measures to defend yourself in your home. :thinking:

Of course, that’s about as vague as it gets and is always going to be open to interpretation. One court will pat you on the back, another will slap you in jail depending on the magistrate.

1 Like

I love this country but we have some f#%ked up laws …

Friend had an intruder trip over a length of water pipe and break his leg

1 Like

There is that Queensland petition for gov going you can or could sign I posted about for less lethal right to defence after the gandmother was murdered.

Closes at midnight | Queensland Parliament

Fk all signatures on that so that won’t happen :roll_eyes:

……… and would happily sued the home owners because they got injured during an illegal act :rage:

Don’t get me started on this modern woke legal bullshit that is heavily in favour of the perpetrators and not the home owners/Police who are trying to protect themselves :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I have plenty of Police mates who range from footpath soldiers all the way through to TRG/Special Detective officers……… and they have all told me many stories of the absolute bullshit where the Courts/Legal System completely destroys them in their line of duty :worried:

1 Like