The Shit Pit

My tv does limit some stuff under stress to 60fps, but does 4K no problem.

And my Xbox definitely does 4k@120

Yes that’s correct, by the manufacturers figures they do 120hz, but the sync is not so will be capped to the output devices refresh rate which is 60hz and you can’t change that. If it was 120hz you’d get 120fps. They have Vsync hard coded in them so you can’t turn it off and boost FPS beyond your viewing devices refresh rate. Unless they have made that option available same as a PC. All games look fine 60fps and beyond depending on your TV with such a high response time you will have ghosting and lag compared to what I am running which is 2ms across all my flatscreens. Those highsense ones report high numbers, cheap ones usually do as they source a cheaper panel.

But who gives a fuck if your happy then go for it :+1: Sorry for trying to help you understand Merry Christmas.

1 Like

I was just talking to my son about your situation and he feels for you as he has been a games tester for Sony since the conception of the play station and has all the games ever made on his account and file’s.
So to loose all that work he said he would go nuclear (his words not mine this kid scares me sometimes)
I hope you recover your time and effort because that’s what it’s all about the time and effort to create something you like

2 Likes

CPU’s in things like Xbox would be about equivalent to my 12yo cpu.

Nah, modern consoles use some of the latest ones, the series x runs a zen 2 8 core with onboard graphics equivilent to a 3700x with a rx 600 or 3070.

While you may have been gaming for 30 years your tech knowhow on the latest consoles is falling behind, the latest console is basicly a gaming pc with a locked down system these days and honestly i dont blame anyone that doesnt want to get onto pc because it means losing some of the console exclusives. hell i keep my old ps3 and ps2 kicking around for the console exclusives, yes i can emulate them but its never the same enjoyment when you are waiting on someone else to do it when i can just boot up the console, put the disk in and play (also means i dont have to deal with people that want me since i normaly mute my pc when i play ps3/ps2 games).

1 Like

I know what they run and they are outdated. Games only use a single core anyway so you could have a 96 core cpu and it wouldn’t do f all. It all depends what you want, if all you want to do is play games then a console is fine for the life of it. Consoles also have matched hardware specs so they will run properly which is what I mentioned earlier. CPU haven’t changed as I mentioned earlier only the data transfer.

I also play PC exclusives that will never come out on console like DCS.

2 Likes

I wont deny that games used to be single threaded, games are becoming multi thread also your welcome to keep thinking consoles are behind the times with their cpu power but they really are not.
[SOLVED] - I knew it maybe repetitive boring question .. But does hyperthreading matter for gaming or not ?? | Tom's Hardware Forum some more info for you on games becoming multithreaded

Xbox series x power straight from Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation - Xbox Wire

Also here is my cpu in construction simulator, 12 threads all doing work, only the game, task manger and snipping tool was running

3 Likes

Funniest thing is that I’ve been munching on a bowl of popcorn while reading the gaming discussion. Was the most suitable snack, I’m going to make some more tomorrow and return for any updates

1 Like

I am the complete opposite…… last game that I played was 1942 in the corner store deli 20c space invader machine in probably 1982 :flushed:
Never had computers, internet, mobile phone etc. until waaaaay later into the scene.
Still don’t even have a television going on ten years now :hushed:

I get it, I’ve seen the games on YouTube, and can appreciate people getting hooked on that stuff…… but unfortunately am still an old school soul that has lived my whole life starting work before sunrise and not finishing until hours after sunset.

There’s never been any time for computers/televisions/games…… couldn’t even tell you the last time that I ever actually sat down on an armchair or lounge :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ya well aware of that. I never mentioned multithreading to begin with.

Anywho back to the original topic why did old mates higher spec’d PC not run 4K yet XBox x does?

1 Like

Thats the thing, it can and will run 4k infact it can push 8k resolution if wanted but i bet the graphics option was never set to 4k or 4096x2160. And as you have said, the panel being used would be locking itself to 60hz somewhere in the processing line and i bet its at the tv.

2 Likes

My Xbox keeps my soda cans and choccy bars cold

Cold? Mine feels like an oven out the top, but the bottom is pretty cold.

1 Like

Mine runs cold

2 Likes

Think I’ll require a Megabox as that just won’t cut it :laughing:

1 Like

Besides I don’t appreciate being called an outdated old prick :fu:… Multithreading predates multicore, it is only currently that game engines are beginning to program it in for ala Unreal, Unity and that has been the problem since the 2 core CPU came out, was very complex and time consuming for developers to write the API to use it and ended up with diminishing returns. 30 years later though they are finally getting somewhere with it.

Might need two of the big ones 10 cans a pop :joy:

1 Like

I don’t know how a debate even started I think everyone with the gears moving in there head can see that Pc’s are really good if you can be fcked and consoles are good for people who can’t be fcked

3 Likes

The ex-box….

Is that where you keep, your Dahmer body parts stashed…??:joy::joy:

1 Like

Storing bait there, would be sufficient to fill the above description…:joy::joy:

I do :rofl: