What Did You Get Up To Today?

Checked out my prior boss’ article on his Monaro :heart_eyes:

Sam Zullo’s HT Monaro (whichcar.com.au)

3 Likes

Fkn Ford Cougar’s :flushed::roll_eyes:

I feel your pain…… the one I’m wiring/working on is much worse than that one! :joy:

Good to see that you have a Convertible model as well!

Is it an XR7 ?

4 Likes

Good ole copper spaghetti :joy:

2 Likes

This one is a standard convertible. Sold the XR7 convertible (428 ram air) a couple of years ago. Tis pic is height of the insanity (there are another three projects not in the pic). Only have the two on the far end at the moment, plus a couple of garden sheds full of bits

2 Likes

That 428 must have been a dream to drive :heart_eyes::sunglasses:

1 Like

The 428 was effortless but a small block is more fun. 428 runs out of brakes very quickly

Finished shearing, yippee. 500 in a day and half, wool delivered at store this arvo, job done. :+1:

3 Likes

This makes me scared to look behind the dash of my '71 Lincoln, the RHD conversion is bodgy enough, God knows what the wiring looks like :sweat_smile:

That’s exactly the reason for this cluster fck of a mess…… the RHD Conversion isn’t pretty in many aspects of the mechanics and interior trim/dash fitment by a long shot :roll_eyes:

It would appear that they never had a proper Auto Electrician on the job either, as it was a total mess of wires running left to right, front to rear and doing many unnecessary laps of the whole vehicle for no reason whatsoever.

They even had about a dozen earths running right through from the boot, doors and dash going right back to the negative battery post under the bonnet instead of earthing to the chassis/body.

It would seem that they only had two colours of wiring spools available as well…… blue or white was spliced into everything
that needed extending, no matter what the original trace colours were :flushed:

The owner had it almost catch fire when it was at a Brake Service Centre getting a new booster fitted, as the original fuse box was now directly under the steering column and had many bare wires twitched into the main harness that were arcing out everywhere.

The Tachometers in these things were a terrible factory afterthought which caused many of these vehicles to simply die on the side of the road with no warning.

I had a good Instrument Service mate of mine modify this original Tachometer with a later model electronic bypass circuit which operates the Tachometer from the problematic factory distributor/ignition system.

This will guarantee that the Tachometer will work correctly and the owner won’t be stuck on the side of the road with a dead ignition :+1:

It isn’t that hard to do RHD conversion for wiring. Just Flip the loom over and repin the LH and RH outputs from the indicator switch. That is what we did on the 68 XR7, although we got caught out by the additional flasher can for the dash lights.

69 and 70 is dead easy, except for replacing the plugs that run into the doors ( can’t be repinned). Tacho electrics were solved long time ago by the Rocketman (RCCI) in Goldthwaite Tx. He converts most Ford tachs to three wire and eliminates them as ignition failure point He also converts ammeters to voltmeters

At least in a 69 the indicator and sequential wiring swap is simple and 70 dash wiring is even easier as you can run all wrapped wiring above the steering column, rather than underneath as per 69. Fuse box position on RHD is a bummer on both, depending on where you mount the park brake pedal

This is the next project after I get the 69 back together- to finish this. Friend was part way through when he passed

2 Likes

Looks like you are going to have your work cut out for you there!

At least you have plenty of experience and no doubt could almost do it in your sleep :joy:

Yes the Ammeter on this one had the owner annoyed because he reckoned that it never worked.

But when I showed him the Amp Range that it was rated at, he could understand why the thing never seemed to move the needle!

A voltmeter would be a much better gauge in this situation for sure :+1:

Voltmeter replacements for Cougars

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

good god and i think doing simple wiring for my Saab is hard enough.

Thanks for the link, I will show my customer and see if he wants to go that direction whilst I’m in the process of finishing the job :+1:

Nice calm day yesterday, so pulled out the paintgun, and gave mums fence a hit…

It needed doing, oil based stain was broken down, so it got one thick coat…2nd coat can wait for another day…Water based paint, so when its done, should last for 7-8 years…main side, the southern side is out of most direct sunlight… 30m x 1.8m…

The wagner airguns work well, airless/ electric…adjustable everything, and water based makes for quick clean up…

The other solution is to soak gels in paint, and get a HPA minigun…!! :rofl: :rofl:

Sore back today…

4 Likes

same as every day of the week: work, tafe homework, sleep, get up, repeat!

Went out with mate and did a few test pans

3 Likes

All donations greatly received. Thanks mate :rofl:

Was heading down to TT to pick up a Skorpion with the 20% off. Decided to dig the old MP7 out and give it a run. Don’t need a CZ. Forgot how good the old BF MP7 is. Has the usual mods - metal gears, barrel, spring and hop-up.

6 Likes

Yeah… but it’s not a CZ :laughing:

2 Likes