What Did You Get Up To Today?

I spy with my little eye something beginning with BC Rich :laughing: A Beast & a Warlock

You gotta be into metal with a rig like thatā€¦ which of the bizillion sub genres? :laughing:

Me, I like my 90ā€™s thrash and death, with a dash of doom for added flavour :wink:

1 Like

Indeed i am, you have a keen eye :wink:. I am into all sorts of metal tbh, the warlock is a nice guitar its a nj deluxe and its in d standard so cradle of filith/dimmu borgir.

The nj beast is not the easiest to play :laughing:, so not much use, but it was a childhood fantasy guitar. Have a guitar for tunings down to drop b and two seven strings to cater for most stuff i listen to from metallica to say slipknot.

Metallica, Slipknot plod rock :roll_eyes:

Show me some TOOL!

Toolā€™s time signatures

• ā€œPneumaā€ time signatures (~114 BPM): 12/8, 11/8, 10/8.
  • ā€œTicks & Leechesā€ (~152 BPM): 7/4, 4/4, 7/8, 5/8.
  • ā€œStinkfistā€ (~174 BPM): 4/4, 3/4, 6/4.
  • ā€œSchismā€ (~108 BPM): 5/8, 7/8, 6/8.
  • ā€œLateralusā€ (~175 BPM): 6/8, 9/8, 4/4, 7/8, 5/8.
  • ā€œ7empestā€ (~145 BPM): 4/4, 13/8, 11/8, 10/8, 7/8, 7/4.

Schism

Is ā€œSchismā€ an easy song to play? Just the opposite; this is a uniquely difficult song. The song changes meter 47 times, moving among more than 12 different time signatures, almost none of which are anything Mozart (or even the Rolling Stones) ever thought of usingā€”and certainly not all in the same song.

And yet they somehow manage to pack all of this tomfoolery into a song that is less than 7 minutes long! :flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::metal:

1 Like

Man, Toolā€™s ā€œSchismā€ video used to creep me out when Rage played it at 4:00amā€¦ :flushed:

I had a lot of mates really into the metal scene hardcore so it was more Mayhem than Metallicaā€¦ local bands Hobbsā€™ Angel of Death, Wood of Suicides, Dissymetry, etc.

Frank ā€œKilljoyā€ Pucci from Necrophagea used to come over and visit from the USA quite a bitā€¦ he was a funny little shit. :joy: the only guy shorter than my wife, and loved to dip strawberries in french mustard. Could drink like a fish though. Passed away at 48, way too youngā€¦ very sad.

Peter Hobbs was a really good friend of mine, played Wacken in Germany to huge crowds, even in his 50s, but he was one of the most humble guys you could ever meet. He used to turn up at our Halloween parties wearing a togaā€¦ freeballinā€™ under it, I might add. :joy: not a pretty sight at all when he got drunk and fell over. He always used to hang around me at the parties when he got tired of all the young metalheads hammering him about his music. I was into fishing and cars like him and didnā€™t get into his ear about his ā€œgodlikeā€ status.

I never got to catch up with him when he moved up to Eden in NSWā€¦ passed away at 58. Very sadly missed, he was a great bloke.

3 Likes

Toolā€™s time signatures, manā€¦ :exploding_head:

1 Like

Sounds like many great times were had!
Sorry to hear of their passing mate, yes way too young to go :frowning:

But thatā€™s the hard and fast lifestyle that is well known in the industry I suppose?

1 Like

Ah hell yeahā€¦ definitely lifestyle, Docā€¦ if you saw these guys in full party modeā€¦ :roll_eyes:

I think I became such good friends with them because I was right into my metal, sureā€¦ but it didnā€™t rule my life like some and define me. Gave them a break from the hypeā€¦ I remember when my wife met Killjoy for the first time. She didnā€™t care who he was and didnā€™t know how big he was stateside, and he was used to groupiesā€¦ he snaked his arm around her waist and started with the rockstar sleeze. She pushed him away with a ā€œPiss off, ya creeply little gnome!ā€ Nearly knocked him off his feet :joy: We all fell about the place laughing including him, they became great mates after that.

Music and the metal scene was usually a taboo subject over beers with these guys. A little slice of normal, I guess. :+1:

4 Likes

@DocBob

As a bass player youā€™ll like thisā€¦

Just picked up this EMG loaded Thunderbird clone at the local pawnbrokersā€¦ traded some unwanted crappy Behringer pedals somebody gave me ages ago and a cash adjustmentā€¦ set me back $40 :joy:

Proper neck through body construction, a little patina in the cream paintwork, needs new pots and the wiring sorted out but an easy enough fix.

Eyeing off bass amps online nowā€¦ the shit never ends. :laughing:

2 Likes

Nice score!
Good ole Cashiesā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ equipping young local bands since the 1980ā€™s :joy:

We used to drive up and down the coast checking out all the different Cashies buying and trading gear.

My first Peavey Bass Amp I scored was a brand new unit someone had just cashed in and the staff had yet to put a price on it.

It was about an $800-$900 Amp at the time, but I offered them $150 and they took it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah i am the same i pop in if i am near one just in case their is a good deal. One of my recent guitars an ibanez rdgix6pb i got from cashies at cooly. Saw it at xmas time they wanted 1200, which was a bit rich they where 1600-1800 ish new. Asked best offer they said 1100, went yeah nah. They had it on gumtree as well,so offered 800 got told no. 3 months later its down to 900, offered again and done deal.

The bc rich warlock nj in my pic above was a bargin, it has a 20c size area where paint has broken off but is otherwise good nick. Found it on gumtree for cashies at ipswich for 600, was on that real quick picked up that weekend. I think they thought it was on the lower tier models.

Yes itā€™s funny how they sometimes donā€™t really know the value of their own goods.
Sometimes they will ask a fortune for an item just because it ā€œlooks expensiveā€ā€¦ā€¦. and yet other highly valuable items they have dirt cheap because they ā€œlook very worn/usedā€.

Have a laugh at some cheap brand item that they are asking a fortune for because it looks flashy, and can be found elsewhere for the same price brand new!

Then thereā€™s the cool patina/worn out stuff thrown in a corner somewhere thatā€™s collectors type value, yet theyā€™re basically asking nothing for it because they donā€™t know what it is.

It can certainly be a goldmine if you know what you are looking for :+1:

1 Like

I picked up a cool '98 Danelectro U2 reissue from Lawnton Hippopotamus for $300 recently because theyā€™d had it a whileā€¦ same day I sold my Jazzmaster so the bucks were burning a hole in my pocket :joy:

Pawnshops can be great to buy from but shit to sell toā€¦ they donā€™t recognise upgrade parts and an Epi jazzed up with all Gibson hardware will only have the value of the Epi to the guy behind the counter. Iā€™ve learned that if I am horsetrading guitars with them, rip out the good gear and put it back to originalā€¦ or you will lose a ton of money on the deal.

waiting for the new cyberpunk 2077 dlc.

1 Like

Going home to download update 2.0 laterā€¦ so I get to see some of the overhauls tomorrow.

1 Like

apparently the specs for 2.0 mean the game has to be on an SSD. HDDs are no longer supported.

1 Like

Outside of external backups, I havenā€™t had an HDD in over 10 years.

1 Like

i have the game installed on an sd card for my steam deck. so Iā€™ll have to move it to the SSD.

Does pre 2.0 Cyberpunk run well on the Steam Deck?

it runs alright with 1.63, i havenā€™t tried 2.0.

by alright i mean a pretty stable 30fps. i wouldnā€™t expect the device to run at 60fps.