What Did You Get Up To Today?

Did my early voting today
I did find it funny that not one of the people there Handing out pamphlets remotely looked Aboriginal.

Silly me I forgot that you only need to
Identify as possible being Aboriginal.
To reep all the government benefits.
That would explain it😒

2 Likes

Makes me really angry. My granddaughter is working her backside off so she will get a uni placement. One of our friend’s great-great-great grandmother was stolen generation and was part aboriginal, so their kid, automatically gets a uni place whatever their results might be

2 Likes

That a real bummer. Nothing worse than not having access to basic tools because of some other tools.

Sold an FMX transmission yesterday morning to fund a diff rebuild on my 68 Cougar. Radiator fans decided to take a vacation on the Falcon ute. Diff rebuild will have to wait. Thankfully there aren’t any new desirable blasters on the horizon and hopefully restocking CYMA MP5 will wait until I sell more stuff and the diff gets rebuilt

1 Like

Well that’s not equality. Why bother going to Uni anyway, there’s thousands of jobs open right now Aus wide and can’t be filled because people are too lazy and rather ride the gravy train. I didn’t go to uni and have been knocked back for a job application before because I was overqualified. Sit down generation, they want the easy money.

1 Like

I came home from my trip, to find my LG house battery, has shut down…

LG has had issues with some of their house batteries, with a few swelling / catching fire…we all know what LIPO fires look like…

They have had a recall, mine wasnt in the affected batch, and has worked flawlessly so far. Mine only did a auto shutdown, and of course, i have isolated it and turned it off.

Because it has a 10 year warranty, they are going to replace the battery…

This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as batteries have about a 10 year lifespan.
Mine was about 6 years old, so I get a brand newie, with another 10 years of lifespan.

I’ll also see, if i can pay a bit extra, and get a larger battery…13 kw/hr…instead of a 10 kw/hr…

The new batteries , aren’t affected by the manufacturing fault.

I was pissed off, but in hindsight, im glad i came home to a flashing red light, and not a smoldering ruin…!! :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

No wonder mining is booming, digging holes all over Australia to get all those toxic minerals out of the ground while burning a gazillion liters of diesel for these bullshit batteries. They don’t last forever and are un recyclable. Forever rubbish.

1 Like

I was under the impression, that batteries, were at least, partially recyclable.

Obviously not 100% recoverable, but at least a fair proportion so.

Tesla states this on their website, and im sure they wouldn’t be able to tell lies on their website…

https://www.tesla.com/en_au/support/sustainability-recycling

Have you seen what’s involved in the battery recycling process of something like a house battery or an EV? Let alone the way lithium is extracted from a mine and refined.

I suggest you have a look at a doco or two on utoob. It’s mantra for a megacorp like Tesla to state your link to cover their ass, and they do it I know, but what’s the cost Mr Rabbit :point_left: Where is your dead house battery going. I know where it is going, landfill.

Lithium-ion battery recycling - CSIRO

I have friends in the recycling game. They have the Australian rights to a closed loop tyre recycling solution and a battery recycling solution. Also have the funding for the developments.

So far they have tried about five locations in Queensland to set up the facilities. On each occasion they have been stymied by the bureaucracies, both local and state. The technologies are already in operation in a couple of Asian countries. One state govt department wanted them to pay for trips to the foreign site for a departmental team to do an inspection, even after they were provided with reams of information and live streaming of the operation.

The technology is out there if you are prepared to enrich the elite

1 Like

Roughest descent into Tullamarine I’ve ever experienced today… would have been quite a few white knuckles and brown skidmarks on that flight, I imagine.

Left a warm and sunny Bris to step off the 737-800 into an antarctic blast of 12°C… :cold_face:

1 Like

LG’s website, states they have partnered with envirostream, in Vic.

Apparently, Australia’s first onshore battery recycling facility, they claim 95% recycling capability.

As is usually the case, the technology pops up first, then the infastructure follows…hopefully, more plants will open in the future.

It would be a waste of resources, to transport them offshore, for recycling.
As time goes on, im sure huge dollars will be made in the battery recycling game.
Increased demand, for both home and EV batteries…

1 Like

That’s right. Currently there is no nationwide effort or plant to recycle Lithium either Ion or Polymer batteries in Australia. The 10% that do get recycled are done overseas by third parties that then on sell some of the reclaimed items back to companies like Tesla which have no say or regulation if those minerals actually came out of one of their own Tesla batteries. It’s never 100% of the battery, it’s physically impossible due to the consumable portions of a battery.

They are working on improving it for sure but it’s going to take decades to work the logistics and efficiencies of it. Tesla only started a recycling program in 2017 in the US for it’s batteries and still get the majority done by a third party recycler.

Yea that’s one that’s still in R&D phase but not functional for a few years yet. It’s going to take time.

In my case, the battery works well , for me.
Being away so much, in my time at my new pad, i have imported 600KW’s from the grid…and exported 24 000.
Not burning coal, overnight, is a good thing.

People want solar / battery… and recycling capability is a big part of the sales pitch.
It only works, if we do it onshore.
I hope they can ramp up recycling capability here…it will end up being a huge buisness, with big bucks, and i’m sure it will happen , in the fullness of time…

1 Like

Oh no doubt but it won’t happen overnight like some dream of. Around 2040 plus if our govs pull the right levers it should be more large scale and nationwide, not secluded to a tiny state of Oz that smells bad. :rofl:

Thing that gets me is the mines initially extracting Lithium and copper across the world from Chile to China. Go research that and you’ll look at Lithium powered electrification of everything in a very different way. Especially how a megacorp in Germany is turning a blind eye to the atrocious mining of copper conditions in Chile. Unbelievable and parts of Chile now have forever waste on their land from copper mining. You can’t live on it you’ll die, you can’t reclaim it. Forever there like Chernobyl.

As petrol prices , get more price gouged…
More people will want electric vehicles.

We can salary sacrifice them, at work, and a few people have them.
Tesla’s are expensive, but BYD is australias 2nd highest selling brand.
They are chinese, but more affordable.

I wont rush into anything, anytime soon, they need more infastructure to support the vehicles.
Having standardised charging systems, is a big point.
Tesla has the best managment…if you have a powerwall2 / tesla car, you can control your output.

I.E, throw 20 kw’s into the car battery first, recharge the home battery next, then export the rest.

As always, time makes technology cheaper and better.
Mind you, if petrol goes to $3.50 a litre plus… the desire to swap increases.

In 10 years time, when they will need replacing, battery recycling should be better sorted…

So what do I do when my power grid can’t support more than 5KW legally and I have more power demands than you do? How am I going to run my 8 tonne tractor for 14hrs a day every day for 2 months to grow food during seeding time. A lot of things can’t work on 100% electrification and won’t for a very long time or likely ever.

I like the idea of hydrogen in a nearly similar ICE engine. That could go somewhere with Toyota leading the charge on that one.

Someone tried to tell me in the past that mines run off green electric energy. I fkn laughed. Alot of the mines in Australia if you hooked a machine up to the power grid you’d have to run a 1000klm power transmission line with a sub station and watch the city where you tapped in to take a dump and blackout when you fired up :rofl:

They all run off Diesel, 100T dump trucks, graders, scrapers, excavators even the refinery plants, not all of those run off the grid. They have on site container sized diesel powered generator sets to provide power.

Some mines do have mains power for a few parts of the process, not 100% of it still and not many of the over 300 mines currently operating in Australia.

Yeah, i get it…
Primary producers will always need, shitloads more power…
They should allow larger solar systems, for you guys.

Even then, there is no getting away from the fact you’ll always need diesel, for heavy machinery.

Unless CAT starts building nuclear powered tractors, then you’ll be set…!!
:laughing:

All jokes aside, solar / batteries / EV’s work better in residential type areas, where its easier to distribute the power.

Rural life has always had, the challenges of isolation, and what works in the city, doesn’t always translate, to the bush…

1 Like

We have crap loads of gas. Don’t know why we aren’t pursing LPG powered hybrids. Smaller battery requirements, less impact on the grid, they burn cleanly and you have a full tanks in two minutes

1 Like

And, can you imagine the tax, that will be imposed on electricty…??

The govt gets billions in revenue, from the fuel excise…
If we all went to electric overnight, the govt would miss out, on all that revenue…

They’ll want to charge you a tax, on using your own solar, to charge your own car…